Tuesday, January 26, 2010

On a first name basis



Once upon a time being on a first-name basis really meant something. When Mr. Schaller, the banker, said, “Just call me George” it implied that the relationship had become personal, crossing over from a formal business connection. In days past, when another person indicated you could use their first name in conversation, it spoke of trust.  Today, everybody presumes the right to address us with our first name almost from the moment of introduction. But, even with our abandonment of formality, we still know when we have really reached a ‘first name basis’ with another. Instinctively we know the difference between the assumed intimacy of first name address and the genuine heart to heart warmth and caring that really provides a first-name basis relationship.

Do you really know God on a first-name basis? You can, but do you? When you turn to Him in prayer, does a formal attitude keep you from spilling your heart, or does your love for Him and His Presence near you invite you to pour out your longings, confess your failures, and share your joys?

Moses was called by the LORD to go back to Egypt to free Israel from slavery. When he obeyed, things got much worse for the people. Pharaoh heard Moses’ request and laughed at him. Then, he doubled the workload on the Israelities, leading them to turn on Moses with fury! "The foremen said …  “May the Lord judge and punish you for making us stink before Pharaoh and his officials. You have put a sword into their hands, an excuse to kill us!” (Exodus 5:21, NLT)  Where did Moses go with this? He turned to the One who had sent him and the passage reveals a deep intimacy. Take a look. "Then the Lord told Moses, “Now you will see what I will do to Pharaoh. When he feels the force of my strong hand, he will let the people go. In fact, he will force them to leave his land!” And God said to Moses, “I am Yahweh—‘the Lord.’ I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as El-Shaddai—‘God Almighty’—but I did not reveal my name, Yahweh, to them. And I reaffirmed my covenant with them. Under its terms, I promised to give them the land of Canaan, where they were living as foreigners. You can be sure that I have heard the groans of the people of Israel, who are now slaves to the Egyptians. And I am well aware of my covenant with them. “Therefore, say to the people of Israel: ‘I am the Lord. I will free you from your oppression and will rescue you from your slavery in Egypt. I will redeem you with a powerful arm and great acts of judgment." (Exodus 6:1-6, NLT)  This man enjoyed an amazing privilege: "Since then, no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face." (Deuteronomy 34:10, NIV)

I am Yahweh”!  Moses knew the Name of God, the Name that means “I am the Present One.”  Unlike the patriarchs who only knew Him as God Almighty, a descriptive but impersonal name, Moses enjoyed a first-name basis.  In short, when Moses was going through a tough time, God assured him with His Name and the personal relationship they enjoyed. When troubles come, when confusion overtakes us, when life doesn’t make sense; what a difference it makes when we feel the Presence of Yahweh, the LORD, embracing us. If He is more than God Almighty to us, more than the fearful One in heaven; when He is our Father, our Friend, our Comforter, but most of all the Present One – we can go through, stand firm, and know peace.

Such intimacy cannot be forced or assumed. It grows from genuine worship, from waiting on Him, from a heart committed to holiness.  He grants us the privilege of knowing His Name, we cannot demand it. Disciple, Jesus promises us true intimacy. In John 15, 16, and 17 He spoke at length about the relationship that the Spirit’s coming creates, that He would not simply be with us, but actually live in us. This is what it means to be filled with the Spirit!  It creates a first-name basis relationship with the LORD of glory, the King of Heaven. What could be more wonderful than that?

Do you know Him that way? Is He more than “God” to you? Does the Almighty have a Name to you?
Love Him and let Him love you. Then, you will live in times of trouble with steady faith, with holiness and hope, drawn from the One who is Yahweh – “The Present One.”
________________________

With all of my heart,
I hunger for You,
All I want and all I seek
Is true intimacy.
With all of my heart,
I hunger for You,
All I want and all I seek
Is true intimacy with You!

Here I stand, waiting Lord,
Touch me now like never before!
Let me change and be transformed,
True intimacy is what I'm longing for.

Intimacy is the longing
Of my heart Lord,
Of this heart.

True Intimacy

© 1999 Song Solutions Daybreak (Admin. in the US & Canada by Integrity Music, Inc.)
Eoghan Heaslip
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: