Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Is God a big tipper?

At dinner yesterday, our waiter was a woman named Cheryl. She was friendly, took note of remembering my wife from a previous visit to the restaurant, and provided excellent service throughout dinner. Is she just a conscientious, good person who always does a good job or was her financial interest in a larger tip motivating her behavior? Since I lack the ability to read minds, her thoughts remain a mystery. That interaction made me wonder about my own motivations especially in my spiritual life. What motivates me to serve God? Do I hope He is a big tipper?

Many Christians do not publicly or perhaps even consciously acknowledge that they have a ‘quid pro quo’ expectation of the Lord, yet they do!

· “If I faithfully give my tithe, He’s obligated to provide for my needs.”
· “If I maintain my spiritual disciplines, He’s obligated to make my life more meaningful.”
· “If I take on a regular ministry, He will bless me for my sacrifice.”

Were I to ask disciples if they thought these things, most would deny it. But, when life goes into reverse, when things get tough, more than a few have allowed bitter complaints of injustice to escape their lips. Job, the suffering saint of the Old Testament, held onto his faith, but wondered about the fairness of God, too. In the 31st chapter of the book that bears his name, he recounts a long list of his righteous acts which were consistent and offered from a heart that loved God. He bitterly complains that he thinks he deserved a different result than came his way in life. "Isn’t calamity reserved for the wicked? Isn’t disaster supposed to strike those who do wrong? Isn’t God looking, observing how I live? Doesn’t he mark every step I take? " (Job 31:3-4, The Message)

As you read this, perhaps you’re thinking, “So, Jerry, if what you suggest is true, why serve God? If He’s not a big tipper, what’s the point of faithfulness?” God is worthy of our worship, our devotion, our service because He is God! If we merely ‘serve’ Him with the expectation of gaining a better life, we are only religious, not devoted. If we think He is somehow obligated by our ‘gifts,’ we have completely misunderstood His Word and will!

Yes, God loves us and cares for us as His children. He does reward ‘good and faithful servants,’ but not because we can put Him under contractual obligation. He does so because He is good and because He is just. His rewards, however, may wait for Eternity. As has been said many times, “His payday is not always next Friday!” We demean our relationship with Him if we allow ourselves to think, “You owe me now.” We also risk becoming bitter when He does not cause life to work out as we thought He should.

Job, pressed his complaint before the Lord. In chapters 38 and 39, God replies, but not with explanation of His actions. Instead, He directs Job to ponder His majesty.
“Have you ever commanded the morning to appear and caused the dawn to rise in the east? Have you made daylight spread to the ends of the earth, to bring an end to the night’s wickedness? … Can you direct the movement of the stars— binding the cluster of the Pleiades or loosening the cords of Orion?" (Job 38:12-13, 31, NLT) He was not trying to frighten Job into submission. The Lord was inviting him to increase his faith by increasing his vision of the One he served. Oh, that our response would be like this great man. He becomes humble, and though he suffers, acknowledges that God is great. Then Job replied to the Lord: “I know that you can do anything, and no one can stop you. … I had only heard about you before, but now I have seen you with my own eyes. I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance.” (Job 42:1-2, 5-6, NLT)

Here’s one of my favorite benedictions.
Let the wisdom of the Word fill your mind and heart today. Pray for the faith to walk before Him without looking for a big tip!

"Oh, how great are God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his ways! For who can know the Lord’s thoughts? Who knows enough to give him advice? And who has given him so much that he needs to pay it back? For everything comes from him and exists by his power and is intended for his glory. All glory to him forever! Amen." (Romans 11:33-36, NLT)

_______________

O Lord, my God,
When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds
Thy hands have made;
I see the stars,
I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy pow'r thru'out
The universe displayed.

And when I think
That God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die,
I scarce can take it in;
That on the cross
My burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died
To take away my sin.

Then sings my soul,
My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul,
My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!

When Christ shall come
With shout of acclamation
And take me home,
What joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow
In humble adoration,
And there proclaim,
"My God, how great Thou art!"

How Great Thou Art

Hine, Stuart© 1941,1953,1955, Stuart K. Hine, Renewed 1981 Manna Music, Inc. ARR UBP of Manna Music, Inc. (35255 Brooten Road, Pacific City, OR 97135)CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: