Friday, October 16, 2009

The fuzzy edges

Certainty is a wonderful thing if you don’t like mystery, wonder, and discovery. I have experienced two kinds of Christianity in my lifetime. Once I was in the ‘certainty’ group. When I was younger, I had the answer for every question. It was easy to point out who was in and who was out. Outcomes were predictable in that world. I just knew that if you did the right things, then you would find the kind of life you wanted. Tragically, I judged those with brokenness and pain in their lives as defective. After all, wasn’t God ‘on call’ and ready, if we had enough faith, to do what we asked Him to do? I shudder at the Pharisee that lived in me.

Well, certainty didn’t quite work out for me. Many questions are now beyond even asking for me now. I am unwilling to crawl onto God’s throne and declare the eternal destiny of another. To do that is a blasphemy! And, while I still hope for the best, faith compels me to trust Him when life refuses to follow the script. I do a lot more crying with others than blaming them for their circumstances.

God is not smaller for me now, as you might think. Actually, He is much, much larger to me than He was when I ‘knew it all!’ I now understand that I once was the kind of like a man standing with his face pressed up against the Empire State building in New York City at ground level, thinking that the brick he sees right in front of him defines the whole thing! What a fool! The Empire State Building is experienced differently from the top than at street level. And, then too, it appears differently from an airplane window when I’m on approach to Newark airport. The building is the same. My perspective alters my experience.

The Lord is the same, unchanging Being, but He is experienced differently! When I am studying Scripture I glimpse Him through the eyes of a prophet. When I am standing alongside of a suffering saint, I glimpse Him through her words and tears. In surprise moments, He opens my eyes by the revelation of His Spirit working in me. I know Him differently in worship among the congregation than when standing alone in the early morning darkness of my backyard.

I am sure of one thing: before I close my eyes for the last time, there will be much more adventure in this walk of faith He’s leading! Along the way there will be plenty of mystery, wonder, and hopefully – discovery of new truths about Him. Meanwhile, I am resting in His grace, secured by His love, held in His hand.

I quoted this passage in an earlier CoffeeBreak this week, but here it is again. Ponder the majesty revealed in the words.
"Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!

“Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?”

“Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?”


For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen." (Romans 11:33-36, NIV)
___________________

"I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know
the hope to which he has called you,
the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and
his incomparably great power for us who believe."
(Ephesians 1:17-19, NIV)
________________

What a mighty God we serve,
What a mighty God we serve,
Angels bow before Him!
Heaven and earth adore Him!
What a mighty God we serve.

No comments: