Wednesday, October 07, 2009

$1000 Gold!

A gold coin about the size of an American half-dollar weighs an ounce! Yesterday, on world markets that coin’s price topped $1000! From Biblical times to the present, this precious metal had held the fascination of people. The lure of gold is nearly mystical, almost magical, with power to enslave those who fall in love with it. Gold gives power, buys service and material goods, and provides a kind of security. Those who desire it never get enough of it. Those with it always want more!

When I look at the balance on my mortgage and calculate my likely earnings over the next 15 years, I’d like a little gold! When I see the difficulties that some are going through as a result of the economic chaos, I’d like more gold to help them. Then, I remember that my true wealth is not piles of gold, platinum ($1300/ounce), or silver ($17/ounce). I am secure within the love of God, who promises to "supply all our needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19, NLT) I’ll be very honest. There are moments when I consciously must refocus my eyes on the True Treasure. Situations arise when I am temporarily distracted by the possibilities created in this life by access to greater worldly wealth. Most of us deal with that temptation, at least occasionally.

But, I pray for the same kind of empowering experience of the Spirit that made Peter and John truly rich, that allowed them to meet the real need of a beggar who lived near the Temple gate in old Jerusalem. This pitiful creature existed on the spare change of worshippers. One day, he asked two men for a coin and got something entirely different. The Bible says, "When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, “Look at us!” So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them. Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man’s feet and ankles became strong." (Acts 3:3-7, NIV) Just think, if Peter had a pocket full of money, he might have simply reached in and gave the man enough to buy supper. But because he had no gold, he was more aware of a greater Treasure, which changed the man’s life!

If you think it’s gold you need, think again. There’s a lasting treasure available, of greater value than $1000 gold. Take this invitation from the Lord. Meditate on it today.

“Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.

Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David." (Isaiah 55:1-3, NIV)
______________

Riches I heed not,
Nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance,
Now and always:
Thou and Thou only,
First in my heart,
High King of heaven,
My Treasure Thou art.

Be Thou My Vision
Hull, Eleanor / Byrne, Mary E.© Public Domain

No comments: