Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Some good people out in front of me!

I am in the mood to reflect this morning, being my 54th birthday. A collage of faces and a chorus of voices play through my memory today; of the good people who have mentored me. There’s my Dad, now with the Lord, and Mom – who had the greatest influence. Their values became mine before I was even old enough to choose, to evaluate. The most valuable gift they gave me was the ‘awe and respect of the Lord.’ From the dawn of consciousness, they their words and lives were a demonstration about life’s True Center; about trusting and serving Him. Though I only walked in his shadow for a single year, David Eggebraaten, a pastor who loved me, shaped my life by teaching me about the grace of God. I never met Ray Stedman, but his writing, especially a little book called “Authentic Christianity,” effected me deeply. Richard Foster’s “Celebration of Discipline” was equally seminal! Harry Almond, a retired missionary, walked alongside of me for a few years in mid-life, friend-mentor. He was one of the most wise men I’ve ever known, yet amazingly humble.

Who are you following?
Who is mentoring you?


The world’s all a ‘Twitter’ these days, with single lines of streaming consciousness supposedly providing leadership and mentoring. The mark of success on that social networking site is one’s number of followers. It’s an awfully shallow experience. Hopefully, you have connected much more deeply to good friends and with solid spiritual leadership. Both are absolutely critical in the process of bringing about real depth of character in your life! Watch out for big talkers as your choose mentors. "God’s Way is not a matter of mere talk; it’s an empowered life." (1 Corinthians 4:20, The Message) Don’t demand perfection. Leaders are a work in progress, too. Observe their course of life as you discern their heart. I’ve learned a lot from seeing how others recovered (or failed to recover!) from failure.

I lived about 30 years before I started to really understand the value of seeking wisdom from elders, of submitting one’s self to leaders. Like many headstrong young men, I failed to see that those who went before had much to offer. My stubborn and rebellious ways brought me many sorrows, but there were those who loved me, in spite of myself.

"So—join the company of good men and women, keep your feet on the tried-and-true paths." …
"Good friend, don’t forget all I’ve taught you; take to heart my commands. They’ll help you live a long, long time, a long life lived full and well. Don’t lose your grip on Love and Loyalty. Tie them around your neck; carve their initials on your heart. Earn a reputation for living well in God’s eyes and the eyes of the people." …
"You’re blessed when you meet Lady Wisdom, when you make friends with Madame Insight. She’s worth far more than money in the bank; her friendship is better than a big salary."

(Proverbs 2:20, 3:1-4, 13-14, The Message)
____________

Believing fathers oft have told
What things by God were done,
When faithful men in days of old
Their lifelong battle won;
And now when God calls us to life,
And Satan tempts each man,
We choose our side in th’mortal strife
To fight as best we can—
Like brothers true, of one accord,
To hold one faith and serve one Lord.

We fain would do our Master’s part,
And help our fellow men,
Would cheer some lonely brother’s heart,
Some lost one bring again,
Would serve the Church abroad, at home,
With hearts from self set free,
Striving to make Thy kingdom come.
O God, so may it be,
That, brothers true, with one accord,
We hold the faith and serve the Lord!

Believing Fathers
Archibald Charteris
Public Domain

No comments: