Monday, July 06, 2009

Under the hood

When I was 18 I earned my pilot’s license. Part of instruction in flying was something called ‘being under the hood.’ George Kouba would hand me this strange looking plastic device that went on my head like a cap with an extended tube on the front, ‘the hood!’ It restricted my vision to the instrument panel of the little Cessna 150. “You can fly this plane as long as the fuel lasts with those instruments,” George said each time. A pattern of scanning those dials and indicators allowed me to maintain speed, keep the wings level, and control rates of climb or descent- without seeing anything outside of the little cockpit of the airplane. So, while under the hood, we would practice- “Jerry, let’s make a turn to heading 270 while descending to 3000 feet.” With a view of the horizon, it was easier; but weather could develop that would take away those reference points. Then I would have to fly by instrument. Being ‘under the hood’ prepared me for that possibility and taught me to keep my eyes on those critical gauges.

Circumstances of life can and do, from time to time, take away the reference points that keep us on course. Pain, discouragement, criticism, conflict, doubt, fear – and more – move in like a bank of fog and we are threatened with loss of our sense of purpose and/or direction, in grave peril of crashing. Many people self-destruct when things get tough. Instead of maintaining their course, they make the choice to trust their ‘gut,’ to live by their emotions. The choices they make when they cannot see ahead or around, may not be the right or best choice. In those moments, we must trust God and do what’s right even if we can’t see the way.

The Word reminds us that even when we are enveloped in darkness we must live by faith, doing the right things. "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." (Philippians 4:8-9, NIV) When we’re attacked, our gut will tell us to strike back. God’s guidance tells us to turn the other cheek. When we are afraid, our instinct will be to turn back. God’s will is for us to maintain our course. All the while, we monitor our decisions by measuring against His unchanging Word – It is loving? Is it honest? Is it pure? Is it of noble character, something I will be able to own in the light of day that will certainly follow?

“Look at the proud! They trust in themselves, and their lives are crooked. But the righteous will live by their faithfulness to God." is the cry of the prophet, Habakkuk. (2:4, NLT) The book of Hebrews repeats his declaration, amplifying it for the disciple. "Patient endurance is what you need now, so that you will continue to do God’s will. Then you will receive all that he has promised. “For in just a little while, the Coming One will come and not delay. And my righteous ones will live by faith. But I will take no pleasure in anyone who turns away.” But we are not like those who turn away from God to their own destruction. We are the faithful ones, whose souls will be saved." (Hebrews 10:36-39, NLT)

Steady on, disciple, "For we walk by faith, not by sight." (2 Corinthians 5:7, NKJV)
______________________


My faith has found a resting place,
Not in device or creed;
I trust the ever living One,
His wounds for me shall plead.

My heart is leaning on the Word,
The written Word of God,
Salvation by my Savior's name,
Salvation through His blood.

I need no other argument,
I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me.

My Faith Has Found A Resting Place
Edmunds, Lidie H. / Gretry, Andre© Public Domain

No comments: