Friday, July 03, 2009

Wisdom and Faith

When does a person cross the line from trusting God to ‘forcing God to act’ with presumption? What is simple faith that includes God’s perspective and what is foolishness that ignores the need to make hard decisions? Those are not just speculative questions for me!
I have a daughter and son-in-law who recently relocated across the country pursuing God’s plan for their lives, and they need jobs, now!
The church I pastor is functioning on a razor thin financial margin, with a major ministry that is trending flat in terms of income, and choices that we make now will be critically important to the over-all health of the church for years to come.
My own earning, while not meager, are – by all human measures- inadequate to prepare me for the future when I would like to think of retiring. In each situation the right response is to – trust God! But, what does that mean?

The whole of the Scripture offers two kinds of counsel which are like the parallel tracks of a railroad. We are commanded to implicitly trust the Lord to provide for us and we are directed to be diligently thoughtful about the choices we make. Just as a train cannot run without both tracks, our lives will quickly derail if we are not both wise and filled with faith. I love the promise that says "My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19, NIV) However, I also note that just a few verses before that in the same passage, there is this recognition that while God promises to provide what I need, He never says He will give me everything I want. "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:12-13, NIV)

God equips us with both heart and mind.
If we live guided only by our emotions, we will wander into the land of ‘happy talk,’ living along the river of Denial, incapable of dealing with the reality of the world in which we live.
If we live only by our reason and intellect, we will never venture to do great things, never pray for God to move that mountain! When I read about the selection of the first deacons for the Church in Jerusalem, there is instruction in the way the Apostles told the church to choose these leaders. Note the twin qualifications. "So, friends, choose seven men from among you whom everyone trusts, men full of the Holy Spirit and good sense, and we’ll assign them this task." (Acts 6:3, The Message)

Take this word from the Word with you today. Savor it, pray it, think it over.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." (James 1:2-5, NIV)

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?" (James 2:14, NIV)

"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom." (James 3:13, NIV)

1 comment:

Mike Stark said...

Very good word today Pastor, - However I wouldnt mind that mountain to move every now and then...you can get tired : )
Good meat though - Thank you.