Thursday, April 30, 2009

Rethinking Extravagance!

Perhaps it is a reflection of my Midwest roots but I am deeply suspicious of things extravagant! Anything that even appears to be an attempt to draw attention to one's self turns me off cold! It is not for me to spend much on clothing. I certainly am uncomfortable, to say the least, with emotional displays. While I can express affection, my family would not likely call me effusive in that area. This reserve carries into my devotion to Christ Jesus. Loud or emotional displays in worship, especially public worship, cause me to shut down, to become self-conscious, even to withdraw. And I must ask, why?

Both Mark and John tell the story of one woman's love for Jesus that led her to an amazingly scandalous display! (John 12, Mark 14) At dinner one evening, while He was among men as was the custom, a woman entered the room. Mary was a respectable, upright lady but she loved Him deeply, not romantically, but with her whole being. Breaking all the rules of her society, she broke open a jar of perfumed ointment worth a full year's wage and poured it on Jesus, head to toe! The fragrance filled the room and, most likely stopped conversation. What she did next was even more shocking. She undid her hair and used it to wipe His feet. Yes, there are no two ways to see this. It is over the top extravagant expression of love and devotion!

Mary risked reputation, spent a fortune, ignored the opinions of others - not because she was arrogant, nor because she wanted to gain attention, but because she loved! And, Jesus did nothing to stop her extravagance. In fact, He praised her for her love and said she was preparing His body for burial, a recognition of His death, just days or weeks away.

Disciple, how much do you love Him?
Are you willing to be extravagant in your expressions of that devotion?
Does your love for Him blind you to the opinions of others, make you forgetful of cost or effort?Or is your religion a carefully calculated cost/benefit exchange, an investment of the minimum required to gain the assurance of God's favor?

With Mary's act forming the backdrop, meditate on these passages. Ask the Spirit of God to draw you to love Him - intensely, sacrificially; yes, extravagantly.

"Jesus replied, "The most important commandment is this: 'Listen, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.'" (Mark 12:29-30, NLT)

"I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!" (Revelation 3:15-16, NLT)

"I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. ... You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first." (Revelation 2:2-5, NIV)

___________________

Click here to listen to a song by CeCe Winans about Mary's devotion.
It is titled, "Alabaster Box." I pray it will move you to return to your first love!

No comments: