Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Patience of Job

"So, what’s up, Lord? Have You decided not to speak to me?" Such was my prayer recently. Despite reaching later mid-life, (OK, I am 53!) relatively intact; I’m fairly healthy, my wife loves me, my kids are doing well, I have more than enough stuff, I am reasonably competent in my profession: there are many days when my faith is stretched, pulled, tested, – and yes, frayed by questions for which I have no answer.

-Why do young Mom’s die from colon cancer?
-Why do people who divide get so much attention and peace-makers get kicked in the teeth?
-Why does God allow suffering to continue when people cry for relief?
-Why do people hate each other so intensely even when it destroys them?
-What does prayer accomplish when God seems not to listen?

The book that tells the story of a man named Job (pronounced with a long ‘o’ like in lobe, not a short one as in lobster!) is one of the Bible’s most ancient texts. The lead character, who is a godly man, sees his life shredded before his very eyes and suffers intensely. He protests the unfairness of it all! In chapter 31, he lists his good choices that should be producing a different outcome than the one in which he was living. "I do not live in lust. I am just even to my servants. I am generous towards those in need. I am not materialistic. I am hospitable to others. I respect the land!" Some making such claims are just blind to their own faults. The Bible says that Job was truly righteous and does not argue with his assertions of his goodness!

Yet, note God’s response to his demand for justice. "Then the Lord answered Job from the whirlwind: "Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words? Brace yourself like a man, because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them.
"Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you know so much. Who determined its dimensions and stretched out the surveying line?
" (Job 38:1-5, NLT)

In sum, God says to Job, "Just trust Me!"
There is the choice, disciple! Will we trust Him?
This is the fork in life’s road to which we come - again and again.
Will we patiently trust Him or will we decide to take life into our own hands?

The Bible is full of illustrations of those who decided to manage their own lives and ended up with a worse mess.
Abraham decided to have a son with Hagar and brought strife to his house.
The Israelites chose the advice of 10 spies who saw only the obstacles in Canaan and stayed in the wilderness for 40 years!
Saul chose to offer sacrifices instead of letting Samuel do it God’s way and was told that his "rebellion was worse than the sin of witchcraft!" 
David tried to cover up his adulterous affair instead of repenting and his sins multiplied.

The same Scripture shows us the breadth of God’s plan over hundreds of years and allows us to see that His will prevails, His purposes stand. Take this challenge and promise today, along with me, won’t you?

"Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, "Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you."
(Isaiah 35:3-4, NIV)
"And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness. The unclean will not journey on it; it will be for those who walk in that Way; wicked fools will not go about on it. No lion will be there, nor will any ferocious beast get up on it; they will not be found there. But only the redeemed will walk there, and the ransomed of the Lord will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away." (Isaiah 35:8-10, NIV)
__________

God will make a way
Where there seems to be no way,
He works in ways we cannot see,
He will make a way for me.
He will be my guide,
Hold me closely to His side,
With love and strength
For each new day,
He will make a way,
He will make a way.

By a roadway in the wilderness
He'll lead me,
And rivers in the desert will I see.
Heaven and earth will fade
But His Word will still remain,
He will do something new today.

God Will Make A Way
Don Moen © 1990 Integrity's Hosanna! Music (c/o Integrity Music, Inc.)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: