Friday, February 13, 2009

Walking among lions, kicking cobras

An engaged life is not for wimps! It’s tough to love people enough to care about their problems. Committing oneself to the work of making the world a better place – however one is called and/or gifted to do that – can be exhausting. Creativity demands the application of one’s soul, heart, and mind to allow new ideas to emerge. Sadly many people choose to live without really engaging with their world. They drift along with the tide, making as few waves as possible, hiding themselves in their living rooms transfixed by the glow of their TV screen, avoiding anything that might be difficult or costly.

That life is not for me! I want to love with my whole heart, even when that means having it broken or disappointed time and again. I want to preach the best sermons I am capable of preaching, even if it means spending more time alone in preparation. I want to honor my God in my daily choices even though my sinful nature screams to be soothed by selfishness. I desire to meet the challenges of the world (godless power structures), the flesh (my sinful nature), and the Devil head-on, yielding no ground to any of them in pursuit of the will of God. My prayer is “Lord, first, make me more like You, and second; through me spread the influence and fragrance of Jesus everywhere!” When God calls me to His home, I want to arrive at Heaven’s door with hands dirtied by doing the work of Jesus Christ!

And this I know; such a life is impossible in my own strength. As much as I might admire those who appear self-sufficient and capable of meeting every adversary with their intellect or their fists, I know that the work of God can never be successfully done apart from the inner working of the Holy Spirit. Like the man who answered the impossible call to rebuild the destroyed city of Jerusalem I hear God saying, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty." (Zechariah 4:6, NIV)

What about you, disciple? Are you hiding out from life? Don’t waste the days, chasing pleasure and avoiding sacrifice. Jesus reminds us that "If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul?"
(Matthew 16:25-26, NLT)

Here’s God’s promise for those who respond to His call. We never walk alone! It’s great! Read it with faith.
"Yes, because God’s your refuge, the High God your very own home, Evil can’t get close to you, harm can’t get through the door. He ordered his angels to guard you wherever you go.
If you stumble, they’ll catch you; their job is to keep you from falling. You’ll walk unharmed among lions and snakes, and kick young lions and serpents from the path.
“If you’ll hold on to me for dear life,” says God, “I’ll get you out of any trouble. I’ll give you the best of care if you’ll only get to know and trust me. Call me and I’ll answer, be at your side in bad times; I’ll rescue you, then throw you a party. I’ll give you a long life, give you a long drink of salvation!”
- (Psalm 91:9-16, The Message)

No comments: