Tuesday, February 17, 2009

An Impossible Quest?

The central desire of my life is unattainable by human means and out of my natural reach. What might that desire be? To be a righteous and holy man. I awaken each morning knowing full well that my commitment to the way of Christ will be tested by temptations that spring out of nowhere and/or by unexplainable (from this world's perspective) events that seem to belie the existence of loving God.

As I write this, it is my sincere desire to be full of love towards all people today. Well experienced in real life, I know it is all but certain that I will fail in that quest, in some measure, before nightfall. I could react less than charitably, for example, when some driver of questionable skill makes me slam on my brakes to avoid a collision, or when someone takes up my time when I am trying to complete a task on a deadline; or when fatigue makes me more vulnerable to acting from emotional impulse. Similarly, it is my intent not to judge others, but I may lapse into cynical criticism of someone before the day is over. I truly want to make all choices in a way that puts God and His purposes in first place, but will I today? Literally, only God knows!

So, why engage in a quest so fraught with possibilities of failure? Why not lower my sights and be content with a lesser discipleship? Because I am commissioned and called to be holy. The Word tells me "just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy." (1 Peter 1:15-16, NIV) It is not a suggestion! It is a demand made by God, who sets an impossible standard for my holiness - that of His own righteousness.

"Jerry," you may be thinking, "this is foolishness. No one can live under such pressure." I would tell you that you are mistaken on two counts - the first being assuming that aspiring to a holy life creates pressure, and secondarily that it is foolishness to want to obey the Lord's call! The paradox is that if I begin to believe that I can be loving, obedient to God, or a disciple through rational choice alone I will create pressure on myself that is unbearable. But, if I take up the call of the Way of the Cross with faith in His promise and Presence, I will find Jesus' comfort and a soul rest that is not obtainable in any other way. He says, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:29-30, NIV)

Yoke is not a word generally associated with ease or comfort. A yoke was used for work, for bearing a load! When He calls us to be His disciples, the Lord is not inviting us to a life free of strain but He says if we come to Him and take HIS yoke, not one of our own making, the 'fit' will be right, not chafing. We will accomplish His work in ways that bring us soul-rest, a sense of significance and purpose. The work He asks of us may tire us, but it will not leave us feeling empty or hopeless. To be sure, days will come and go when we will only know obedience: without fulfillment, without knowing 'why' behind the 'what.'

Let me illustrate my point from my recent life experience. Over the six months, I spent many long nights spent tending to my father's needs as he lay dying. I did not always feel joyous about not being able to sleep, nor did I always think of getting him a drink of water at 3 am as something desirable - in the moment. But last week my perspective changed. He died! Now, I treasure the memories of such moments of simple service and wonder why I did not more gladly do even more for him given the cost that was, in retrospect, so small?

Very similarly, when God draws certain seasons to a close in our lives, we begin to see our obedience in a different light and we gain delight in what He has allowed us to do in cooperating with His plans and purposes in our world. If we take the yoke of Jesus Christ and live in obedience, our joy will be perfectly complete when we enter His Presence and see all our lives as He saw them all along! Disciple, He does not ask us to walk alone, nor does He ask us to deal with the people and situations that test our holiness all by ourselves.

Take this Psalm of promise with you into the battle today. It will make you strong and keep you on your feet, even when you're set back by some momentary lapse into sin or failure.

"A song for pilgrims ascending to Jerusalem. A psalm of David.

What if the Lord had not been on our side?
Let all Israel repeat:
What if the Lord had not been on our side when people attacked us?
They would have swallowed us alive in their burning anger.
The waters would have engulfed us; a torrent would have overwhelmed us.
Yes, the raging waters of their fury would have overwhelmed our very lives.
Praise the Lord, who did not let their teeth tear us apart!
We escaped like a bird from a hunter's trap.
The trap is broken, and we are free!

Our help is from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." (Psalm 124, NLT)
__________

And He walks with me,
And He talks with me,
And He tells me that I am His own.
And the joy we share, as we tarry there,
None other has ever known! - public domain

No comments: