Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Who going to pay for it?

I encouraged dreaming yesterday. I hope you didn't take that as permission to get lost in silly fantasies. With a child-like faith, allow yourself to think about how God wants you to go against the flow, how He is asking you to apply yourself to make a difference for the Kingdom. Somebody asked me, "And just where do I get the resources I need to make that dream into a reality?" With confidence I can say, "If your dream is inspired by God, and if you're willing to work hard and think 'out of the box,' He will provide!" A story from Genesis makes that point.

"Dad, we have the flint and the wood for our sacrifices, but where is the sheep for the offering?" Abraham and Isaac were on their way to Moriah. Both are filled with questions. One of them is wonders where the lamb is and the other is trying to understand what God is doing and why! The account of the testing of Abraham in Genesis 22, wraps up with a Hebrew proverb.... "When you get to the mountain, God will provide." That was how Abraham responded to his son's question. "Isaac, God will see to it that there is a sheep for the offering." In other words, "we will just keep going and see how He works it out."

Is God calling you to some sacrifice, has He pointed you down a road filled with challenges that you have NO IDEA how to overcome? "When you get to the mountain, God will provide." If you're at all like me, you prefer that He show you the plan BEFORE you get to the mountain. Being the planning type, I rest better when the route is laid out, the provisions set aside, and the outcome is assured. There's nothing wrong with purpose and planning, but God reserves the right to CHANGE our plans and not to tell us what He's doing. That is why faith is a basic requirement for living out His dreams in our lives. "It is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him." (Hebrews 11:6, NLT)

When He calls us to take up His challenges, He is not cruel nor is He impulsive. He wants us to know that it is His doing, not ours. He is leading us into new revelations of Himself. Deeper vision; greater dreams!

The text of Genesis 22 gives us no insight into Abraham's emotions on that three day journey to Moriah. What is underscored is that he was obedient and trusting -- even though everything he had built his life around -- God's covenant, the life of his beloved son -- was on the line. It appeared that God had kicked the legs out from underneath him, that God was a deceiver who gave with one hand and took away with the other. But Abraham did not accuse God, rebel against God, or even resist. After receiving the Word of the LORD, the Bible says, 'early the next morning, he got up and saddled his donkey' to go and obey!

I think he must have kept repeating to himself, "God will see to it. God will provide" over and over and over. What would God do? The writer in Hebrews says that Abraham considered that God could raise his son from the dead if necessary!

You know the story. As he raised the knife to slay his son, God spoke. "Enough! I have seen the depth of your love." The Message translation concludes the story like this: "Abraham looked up. He saw a ram caught by its horns in the thicket. Abraham took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. He named that place GOD-Yireh (God-Sees-to-it!). That's where we get the saying, "On the mountain of GOD, he sees to it."

Live obediently today.
Keep moving toward the mountain trusting that when you get there, GOD-Yireh, the One who sufficient and able, will 'see to it' giving you just what you need at that time! He will because He is faithful.

Jehovah Jireh, my provider,
His grace is sufficient for me, for me, for me.
Jehovah Jireh, my provider,
His grace is sufficient for me.

My God shall supply all my needs,
According to His riches in glory.
He will give His angels charge over me.
Jehovah Jireh careth for me, for me, for me.
Jehovah Jireh careth for me.


© 1974 Sound III, Inc. (Admin. by MCA Music Publishing) / Universal -MCA Music PublishingCCLI License No. 810055.

No comments: