Friday, July 11, 2008

"Keep me sweet, Lord!"

That was my prayer sometime yesterday when I was beyond tired both physically and emotionally. It's been one of those weeks: triumph and tragedy all at the same time. It started with a Christian brother's death on Sunday evening at 8, followed by the roar of excitement as 130 kids invaded the church on Monday morning for Vacation Bible School. Along with the normal ministry work; calls, preparation to speak, letters, and such things - there was a funeral to conduct, including dealing with my own grief. Yet each morning I was required to step over my emotions so I could share the joy of the church's little ones who bubbled over about their discoveries in our VBS "Power Lab!" In between all of that, my friend Tom ended up in the hospital on Wednesday for heart surgery. Jay and my grandsons came for the week, filling up our house with laughter of kids. In the middle of it all another family in our congregation had a major crisis which they shared with me, breaking my heart. Sean, my other son, called asking for some advice as Natalie and he needed to discern the will of God in a wonderful opportunity for ministry that was presented to them!

Yep - I think I did a month's worth of living in the last 7 days. (Don't read any of this as a complaint. I love it all.)

In another week like this one, somebody saw me trying to keep it all together and reminded me: "There is a God, and you are not Him!" Funny, but true. When I try to be a super-hero, trying to be everything to everyone, I get short-tempered, lose my joy, and develop all kinds of pain in my body that reminds me that I'm carrying a burden my Lord wants to share. Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matthew 11:28-29 I let that verse marinate in my soul this morning.

First, Jesus says, "Come to me." We're very foolish if we let the pressures of life keep us from prayer, worship, and reflection. Remember that old saying about 'the tyranny of the urgent causing us to ignore the important?' I am thankful I can step away from it all and worship Him. He restores my soul.

Second, He tells us to "Take my yoke upon you." God is not anti-work! Even in the paradise of Eden there was work to do. If we think that becoming a Believer gives us a pass from toil or tears, our conclusion is erroneous! A yoke was an object that helped distribute the load for the work not eliminate the work. If a yoke was ill-fitting, it chafed and made sores on the bearer of the burden. If it fit right, it lightened the load and made it possible to accomplish much more. Jesus calls us to service. That service will often demand much from us, but if we're putting on the yoke He's prepared for us, He will be there to bear the weight with us. We may arrive at the end of the day exhausted, but if we have worked with Him, and in His way, we will be able to make the same observation that God made when He rested, "God looked over everything he had made; it was so good, so very good!" Genesis 1:31 The Message

Third, He says, "Learn from me!" Jesus knew the rhythms of work/rest; giving out/ taking in! He gave His all to the people He loved, but made sure to step away to be with His Father. Throughout the Gospels we find Him withdrawing from the ministry to pray and be alone with God. It's such a simple lesson, but so easily ignored, isn't it? I make the same dumb mistake over and over again when I try to keep on going, pushing myself when I need to find a quiet place with Him to breathe in the Breath of the Spirit.

Are you in a tough place?
Do responsibilities pile up where resources seem scarce?
Are people in your life asking more from you than you think you can produce?
Has the Evil One sent a demon to torment you?

Reflect on these words and respond with humble obedience.

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you." Matthew 11:28-29

"Look at me. I stand at the door. I knock. If you hear me call and open the door, I’ll come right in and sit down to supper with you. Conquerors will sit alongside me at the head table, just as I, having conquered, took the place of honor at the side of my Father. That’s my gift to the conquerors!" Revelation 3:20-21
_________________________

You are my hiding place.
You always fill my heart with songs of deliverance.
Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You.
I will trust in You.

Let the weak say, "I am strong in the strength of the Lord."
You are my hiding place. You always fill my heart with songs of deliverance.
Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You.
I will trust in You.

Michael Ledner
© 1981 Maranatha! Music (Admin. by The Copyright Company)CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: