Monday, July 07, 2008

Heaven and Earth

Barb called last night to tell me that Andre, a member the church that I serve as pastor, was dying. I drove to their home and when I got there, the angels had taken him to his Lord and Savior. Once again I was confronted with the cycle of life and death. Did Andre die or was he born to new life last night 'round 8? The Scripture tells me that he changed addresses, became a totally new and different kind of being at that transition moment. I do not understand the 'how,' but I hold the promise in faith - that Andre lives - 'absent from the body and present with the Lord.' (2 Cor. 5.8) Even as I ponder eternity, I must not forget that today is packed with opportunities! You have moments to be lived today that are unique, that will never be offered again. Words you speak today will build up, tear down, or waste breath. Choices made today have the potential to change your life or the life of another.

Reflecting on Andre's life and my own milestone (I am 53 today) I ponder the opportunities seized and those missed! These twin reminders of the brevity of this earthly life cause me to ask myself:
"Jerry, are you doing your best in God's service?
Are you offering your 'utmost for His highest?' "

That kind of evaluation is important! I must remember, as so must you, that our judgment is always somewhat flawed; our self-evaluations lacking complete perspective. The better question to ask is a prayerful one that invites the evaluation of the Spirit. Borrow the Psalmist's prayer: "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23-24, NIV)

I do take comfort in this fact: His judgments are much more just than ours! He sees our life, not just in this moment or even in the window of time that marks our existence. He sees our life in the context of eternity and His judgments are made in the totality of our experience, opportunities, and knowledge. Jesus told a story of about men entrusted with responsibility for treasure. His summary at the end of the story should make us sit up and take notice! "Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." Luke 12:48 NLT

Moses' Psalm (90) is a prayer that reflects a fear of God's anger and a hope for His love. In the center of the Psalm is this prayer. "Oh! Teach us to live well! Teach us to live wisely and well!" It my prayer! Is it yours? Are you just 'killing time' letting one day flow into the next drifting with the current of events, or are you a change agent of the Kingdom of Heaven? Paul is so very practical in his urging us to excellence. He says, "So be careful how you live, not as fools but as those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days. Don't act thoughtlessly, but try to understand what the Lord wants you to do." NLT Ephesians 5:15-17

How do we live a life that brings Heaven to earth, connecting today with the timelessness to come?

Be thoughtful!
Lives that matter do not just 'happen,' they are intentional!

Exploit the opportunities
that come your way! Don't blow the 'now' waiting for some hoped for moment in the future!

Shape your values
by God's will and Word, not the 'wisdom' of the world.

For a life lived well, there is a reward. Sometimes we get to experience the reward now, but we are guaranteed that we will get the whole enchilada when we step into Heaven. "Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are confident of better things in your case—things that accompany salvation. God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them." - Hebrews 6:9-10 NIV

Have a blessed week!

No comments: