Thursday, July 10, 2008

"Be with me!"

When my heart is heavy with sorrow or my mind full of anxiety, there is nothing like having someone, preferably my loving wife, present. I do not necessarily want to talk, in fact, usually in those kinds of situations I prefer to ponder the situation quietly. But, having someone there with me, is a comfort. In my pastoral ministry I know that what I have to offer others in times of great trial or grief is myself more than my words. My physical presence says, "I care for you."

When the congregation of God's people gathers for worship, more than anything else, I desire that we experience the Presence of God. That is not to be confused with good music, a stirring sermon, or a surge of emotion. Yes, I enjoy worshipping God with good music. A sermon that is Biblical, intelligently organized, and inspired by the Spirit is much to be desired. It is God Himself, present in His Spirit, that gives the church gathered the 'life' that causes people to come back, again and again. He cannot be known with our physical senses, but we perceive when He walks among us. When He is present, we are at rest! This is what make being a Spirit-filled Believer great!

Moses, when he was leading the Israelites from Egypt to the Promised Land, knew the importance of living in the center of God's Presence. After the people had demanded an idol be made and Aaron gave them the golden calf while Moses was on Sinai receiving the Law, God told Israel, "Go up ... But I will not go with you, because you are a stiff-necked people and I might destroy you on the way." Exodus 33:3 NIV He was so offended by their idolatry, He withdrew His Presence from them. Moses, ever the intercessor for the people he led, prayed this plaintive and amazing way: "If you don’t personally go with us, don’t make us leave this place. How will anyone know that you look favorably on me—on me and on your people—if you don’t go with us? For your presence among us sets your people and me apart from all other people on the earth." Exodus 33:15-16

Believer, do you pray to live in the Presence of God?
Do you cultivate a holy heart, a ready faith, and avoid places and situations that would cause God's Presence to lift from you?

The great Treasure that all Christians can know (but many do not!) is the constantly abiding Presence of God. He will not walk with a person who is filthy in mind, rebellious in spirit, or self-seeking. James teaches us about walking in God's Presence with these clear directives: "Submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts." James 4:7-8

Jesus promised us that we would not live as orphans in this world. We are beloved children and He has petitioned the Father on our behalf. "If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you." John 14:15-17

So, live in the Presence!
______________

O, the glory of Your presence,
We, Your temple, give You rev'rence.
Come and rise from Your rest,
And be blessed by our praise

As we glory in Your embrace,
As Your presence now fills this place.

Steve Fry© 1983 Birdwing Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing; Admin. by BMG Music Publishing) / BMG Songs, Inc. (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing; Admin. by BMG Music Publishing)CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: