Monday, July 23, 2007

Point me in the right direction, Lord!

Do you ever deal with being anxious? At one time or another, we all do. Health issues, financial decisions, job choices, the future of our children's lives, our businesses - are all potential sources of worry. On more than a few nights my eyes refuse to close in restful sleep while my mind does calculations about some personal challenge, a decision I need to make, or the demand to develop a strategy to address an upcoming change in the church which I serve. When I feel stress, I am often not as gentle and patient as I ought to be which, later on, makes me feel even more stress about the words or actions I used when under pressure! I could excuse my tendency to be anxious, my short-temperedness, or my lack of faith with a dismissive 'that is just who I am.' I could point out that I am wired as a "type A" leader who is action-oriented. Or, I can do the right thing and submit to Jesus, my Master and Lord, letting the Spirit change my heart. Thankfully, He has done and is doing this in me, to the glory of His Name.

The late Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, a ministry that became a major force in the work of the Lord in the last 40 years, had many reasons to be stressed. He was head of an organization that was huge, that was always in need of funds, and that had thousands of associates on hundreds of campuses around the world. But, Dr. Bright was consistently a man of cheerful temperament, relaxed, and apparently beyond worry. His son reports on the moment when he came to understand why his Dad was this way, even under pressure. It was an interview with a reporter from a Christian magazine.
"Dr. Bright," the reporter asked, "share with us a problem from your life that the average Christian could relate to."
"I don't have any problems" Bright replied.
The reporter pressed, "Don't over-spiritualize this. We all have problems."

"Young man," Bright replied, "you need to understand that I understand that I am a slave of Jesus. A slave doesn't have any problems. The only thing a slave has to do is what his master tells him to do. He doesn't have to be successful. When you really understand that, all the of the sudden, you don't have any problems anymore. All you have are opportunities to see God work." - quoted in REV. Magazine, July/August, 2007

Anxiety is an expression of ego, a revelation that we assume we are 'in charge.' Faith that is deep and wide, causes us to surrender our illusions of mastery of our lives and to live at peace in the Presence of God. Now, we must be consistent in that faith. If we run ahead of the Lord and make decisions in our own wisdom: creating debt, taking on too much responsibility, etc. - it is immature and irresponsible to decide, only after the fact, to throw it all on the Lord and expect that He should painlessly lead us out of the problems that we created for ourselves! The kind of faith that allowed Dr. Bright to live with serenity started before he made decisions. He let God lead - from the beginning. Does that mean we can't ask the Lord to help us with situations we created in ignorance or through willful expression of ego? No, of course not. He loves us even when we're dumb or sinful. But we need to acknowledge our sins of presumption, first!

Today - at the beginning of a new week - take a few moments to give yourself anew to the Lord. Say it out loud - "Lord God, I am your servant. I exist to do Your will, to fulfill your expectations, to carry out your purposes." Sum up the things that are making you impatient, that are keeping you awake at night, that make you weary from worry - write the list down - and lay it before the Lord and pray - "Lord, these are my concerns. I want to meet them in the way that You desire, for You know all my tomorrows, and You know what is best for me in the light of eternity." And then, leave them there. You can find peace - no matter the situation.

Here's a word from the Word to take with you today.
". . . serve each other in humility, for "God opposes the proud but favors the humble." So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor.

Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.

Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are. In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation." (
1 Peter 5:5-10, NLT)

No comments: