Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Zealous, for what?

Ambition is one of those things that can be a blessing or a curse.

A person without ambition very likely will become a parasite who depends on others to keep him alive! Solomon's proverbs refer to the man without ambition as a 'sluggard,' and observes "A sluggard does not plow in season; so at harvest time he looks but finds nothing." (Proverbs 20:4, NIV) This man waits for life to happen, waits for easy money, big moments, and breaks. The consequence? A wasted life given to triviality.


At the other extreme, a person too full of ambition consumes everyone around him, turning people into objects to be used in his blind pursuit of fame, wealth, and power. This man is too busy chasing his dreams to be concerned with love, family, or loyalty. He's all about 'being somebody' in this world.

The balance is found in being ambitious about doing what God has called you to do in the best way possible, but always for His glory. The Word urges us to "make the most of every opportunity." (Col. 4.5) That is coupled with this admonition - "...whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31, NLT) Staying centered on that path, where we work hard and strive for excellence while keeping ego in check, requires a daily conversation with the Holy Spirit, regularly examining our heart asking Him to show us the smallest evidence of selfish ambition. Finding it, we must deal with it ruthlessly, or it will quickly corrupt everything we do. One way to know when ambition has gone wrong is to ask, "whose approval am I seeking?" If you're asking - 'what would the neighbors think of me now?' or 'how can I impress him/her?' or 'do I look good (and I'm not talking about your hair!)?' - you're aiming at the wrong goal. Somebody said we perform for an 'audience of One.' Our ambition is to please Him - always.

James says that selfish ambition, the way of the world, is devilishly destructive. Godly ambition will fill our lives with a harvest of good things!
He writes - "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.
But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.
" (James 3:13-18, NIV)

I want to make a difference in this world before God calls me home. That thought is never far from my conscious mind. "What are you doing today, Jerry, that is making the world in which you live a little better place?" But, I know it's a loaded question that can be answered wrongly if I begin to measure making a difference in any way other than faithfully seeking and doing God's will. I don't always get it right, either! Too many nights as I lay my head on my pillow and review the day prayerfully, my true motives become clear and I realize that what I said, what I did, was aimed at securing my place in this world or shining the spotlight on my reputation. But, thank the Lord, He is ready to forgive and to change my heart. And then, too, there are those moments when I sense the Spirit of God offering approval when I have served Him and in some small way built up the Kingdom of God.

Don't settle for drifting through life! Find out what God wants from you, then pursue it with your whole heart - always for the glory of God.

No comments: