Friday, July 20, 2007

Watch out for 'worldliness!'

Believer, as a result of knowing Jesus, our lives are to be distinctly different from the lives of those who do not yet know the Lord! Thank God for the difference. Because the Holy Spirit has restored our relationship to God and brought us life, we no longer are captives of lust, greed, and hatred. We are to be people of love, contentment, and joy. But, there are choices to be made - everyday - that allows the work of God to be accomplished in us. Let me illustrate with a little story. I enjoy country music and this week while I was driving to the hospital to encourage a friend, had Cat Country 96 on my radio. All at once I really began hearing what was coming out of the speakers! It was Trace Atkins singing about a middle-aged man in a bar who watching a young woman dressed in tight jeans dancing. The Holy Spirit whispered to me - "Jerry, is this song helping you to purely love the young women in your pastoral care?" It took me 2 seconds to change the station!! Laugh if you want to, but I'm OK with having a different moral standard for the Lord's sake.

Here's another example. Believers have recognized the importance of clean speech, ridding themselves of foul and profane expressions. Then a couple of years ago along came Donald Miller's book, Blue Like Jazz, (overall I enjoyed it, by the way) which included a passage celebrating the so-called 'cussing pastor' of a church in Seattle who sprinkles his sermons with profanity in an attempt to be relevant to his culture. Being relevant is a good motive. Choosing to use profanity to do it is the wrong choice. I wonder how many Christians read Miller's book and took that chapter as an excuse to keep dropping the 'F' word when they were upset?

Even as I write these words, I know there is a distinct possibility that some will make the same mistake that I made in my youth when I confused the guidelines for holy living with the reality of the Christian life! I thought I was a Christian because I scrupulously observed a code that did not allow for any 'worldly' entertainment, profanity, use of alcoholic beverages or tobacco products, etc. I got things out of order, thinking that my hard work at being good, at least according to the rules I had been taught, was what made me a Christian. The Word taught me that being 'in Christ' was what made holy living possible. Peter urges those who are filled with God's Spirit to let His life fully develop. "Dear friends, I warn you as "temporary residents and foreigners" to keep away from worldly desires that wage war against your very souls. Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world." (1 Peter 2:11-12, NLT)

The difference in the lives of those who are filled with the Holy Spirit is a beautiful difference called holiness. It is expressed in big and small ways in our daily lives. And, when we choose to listen to the Spirit's direction, holiness creates greater intimacy. Take a look at this passage - "...we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people." "Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you." "I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty." (2 Corinthians 6:15-18, NIV)

There is a balance between living 'in the world,' and being 'of the world.' Believers cannot share Christ with the people around if they close themselves into holy huddles that exclude everyone they perceive as 'not one of us.' But, if we are so full of the culture, the values, and the ways of the world - we will lose the intimacy with God that makes us distinct and that allows us to know those qualities that make Christianity a thing to be desired.

Here's a word from the Word to ponder today.
"Do not love the world or anything in the world.
If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—
comes not from the Father but from the world.
The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever."
(1 John 2:15-17, NIV)

No comments: