Tuesday, January 09, 2007

"Valued because He said so"

Redeemed... as I meditated on that word, my mind drifted back a long time to when I first became aware of the concept. It was about S. and H. Green Stamps. When Mom shopped, she received sheets of green stamps in proportion to how much she spent. I had fun pasting them into little books. Yep, I licked 'em and got the glue on my tongue, but hey I was 7 or 8. When she collected enough little books full of stamps she could 'redeem' them for household items. That's all I remember, but I discovered that S. + H. company, the green stamp people, are still around only now they issue 'digital points.' Not nearly as much fun as books full of little green stamps, at least for a kid. The books filled with green stamps had no value until they were presented to the company who issued them and who put a value on them, a process they termed, redemption!

Have you been redeemed?

The question is an important one! Redemption is a theme throughout the Scripture. The Bible tells us that we are devalued by sin, that we are destined for the garbage heap of eternity, except for Divine redemption! "For thus says the Lord: “You have sold yourselves for nothing, And you shall be redeemed without money. ....Break forth into joy, sing together, You waste places of Jerusalem! For the Lord has comforted His people, He has redeemed Jerusalem. " (Isaiah 52:3, 9 NKJV) Our lives, destroyed by disobedience, are given eternal value, but not because we have done great thing to achieve world renown. We gain value because God, in mercy, found us, bought us from the Evil One to whom we had sold ourselves for meager price, and set His seal of ownership on us. Solely because of His mark, we who were once destined for destruction are now people of great worth. So Isaiah exults - God says, “Don’t be afraid, I’ve redeemed you. I’ve called your name. You’re mine. .... that’s how much you mean to me! That’s how much I love you! I’d sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you." (Isaiah 43:1,4 The Message)

When we take hold of that truth, owning it by faith, we are changed. Despair gives way to hope. Striving gives way to contentment. We are less tempted to give ourselves to worthless pursuits because we are now owned by God, with a high and holy calling to serve Him as 'vessels of honor.' Yes, redemption makes us holy people- transforming us from slaves to free persons, from sinners into saints. Whatever we once were, we are no longer because Jesus Christ redeemed us from death.

Pray to know that Truth! Ponder it, meditate on it. Thank God for loving you when you were worthless, wasting your life.
It's my song today. I am joyful in it. I've been redeemed.
________________________

Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it!
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb!
Redeemed thro' His infinite mercy,
His child, and forever, I am.

Redeemed, redeemed,
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb!
Redeemed thro' His infinite mercy,
His child, and forever, I am.

Redeemed and so happy in Jesus,
No language my rapture can tell!
I know that the light of His presence,
With me doth continually dwell.

I think of my blessed Redeemer;
I think of Him all the day long.
I sing, for I cannot be silent;
His love is the theme of song.

I know I shall see His beauty
The King, in whose law I delight,
Who lovingly gaurdeth my footsteps
And giveth me songs in the night.

Redeemed, redeemed,
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb!
Redeemed thro' His infinite mercy,
His child, and forever, I am.

Redeemed
Crosby, Fanny J. / Butler, Aubrey L.
© 1966, 1967 Broadman Press ARR Distributed by Genevox Music Group
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: