Thursday, January 11, 2007

Letting go and letting God!

When I arrived at the jail where I conduct a Bible study each Wednesday morning, I asked the man who unlocked the room, "So, how many will be in study today?" "A big group," he answered, "they're sending you a group of female inmates today!" Immediately I felt the anger rising in me because I had not planned for this new development. I was looking forward to seeing the men that I usually taught. But, I quickly overcame my irritation and prayed that the Lord would let me help someone in the new group; which He did! A couple of the women in the study were keenly interested in the Word and professed faith in Christ. Once again, in a simple way, I was reminded that He is a sovereign God, that I need to 'get out of His way' and let Him lead. Perhaps you're thinking, "Well, duh, Pastor, we all know that." Ah, we do and we don't.

Our doctrine teaches us that God is in control. However, we have plans that we want to complete. Our agenda is often changed by unexpected events, by unforeseen developments, by 'accidents,' and such things. When that happens, Self may lead us into anger and we will fight to assert our will. Or, we may fall into despair, doubting God's goodness, struggling with faith as our life plan is re-written before our eyes as if by an unseen hand. It can be very hard to step back and faithfully say, "I am the Lord's servant, may He do with me as He chooses. Blessed be the Name of the Lord."

Do not read me wrongly today. I am not a fatalist. God has given us choices to make and made us partners with Him in His work. In a mystery that defies complete understanding and/or explanation, He declares two truths to us.

First, He says, "I rule the affairs of the world and know the smallest details of your life." The Word says, "All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." (Psalm 139:16, NIV)

Second, He says, "Choose wisely in your life." Joshua calls on us to "Choose today whom you will serve. ... But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15, NLT) Philosophically, I cannot reconcile those two statements, but in faith, I accept them and live in the balance they provide.

I will not try to control my life with no reliance on God, for that leads me to folly of many kinds! The person who thinks himself the master of his fate is deluded, and everybody knows it but himself. He will become increasingly desperate when he is confronted with situations over which he has little or no control; in his frenzy concocting schemes that are more and more bizarre.

But, I will not abdicate my responsibility to step up to making decisions. The person who mistakenly concludes that he can do nothing to shape his life is foolish. He finds himself in many tight spots which are of his own making, the result of the failure to be prudent. Wisdom invites us to learn from her and promises, “Happy are those who listen to me, watching for me daily at my gates, waiting for me outside my home! For whoever finds me finds life and wins approval from the Lord." (Proverbs 8:34-35, NLT)

Spend a few moments today in meditation on the following passage. Ask the Spirit to lead you to live in that secure place where God leads and you follow.
"So I advise you to live according to your new life in the Holy Spirit. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The old sinful nature loves to do evil, which is just opposite from what the Holy Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are opposite from what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, and your choices are never free from this conflict. ...

But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. ...

Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. If we are living now by the Holy Spirit, let us follow the Holy Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives."
(Galatians 5:16-25, NLT)
_______________________
On God's holy Word I challenge you
To give to the Lord your life anew.
My friend, make your choice;
He waits for you
For this is the moment of truth.
Now walk with God
And He will be your dearest Friend
Where'er you go
In everything you do.
And may your life
Reflect His love to ev'ryone.
Now walk with God
And He will walk with you.

Now Walk With God- Skillings, Otis
© 1969 Lillenas Publishing Company (Admin. by The Copyright Company) CCLI License No. 810055

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Jerry - Your inspired writings continue to help many of us who silently read and pray the Holy Spirit to work changes in our lives. You will never meet us until His Glorious coming. Until then, do not think your efforts are not appreciated. Thank you on behalf of many.