Wednesday, January 03, 2007

"I thank God for you."

My e-mail's inbox had a special letter in it today. Dave has been a Believer for nearly 30 years. He has journeyed through various stages and been part of several churches in that span, but he wrote to express thanks for the solid spiritual foundation that was laid for him by the ministry of my Dad. "We have realized how blessed we were to have been part of the Washington Assembly of God back in those late 70’s early 80’s days. The solid teaching, gifts of the Spirit and what we learned about worship has carried us through difficult times over the years. We are very thankful that we had the privilege to sit under the ministry of your father." Most touching about the email, though, were the little things he remembered, like the day, only the 2nd Sunday he attended the church, when he asked my Dad where he could a Bible and Dad handed him his own nearly new, leather bound, study Bible - opening it and inscribing - “To my friend, David, may this be the light of your life. God Bless, Pastor Scott.” Dad doesn't just talk about being a Christian, he lives it. He is a Believer - everyday, everywhere, in big ways and small ways. Is he flawless? No, and neither am I. (I'm fairly certain you're not perfect yet, either.) But, he is consistent in his love for God and others. And after 72 years here on this planet, he's touched more lives than I know, by just being the man God wants him to be.

The Bible urges each one of us to "walk worthy of the calling with which you were called." (Ephesians 4:1, NKJV) Our daily lives (that is what 'walk' means in that context) must be characterized by the Spirit's goodness, lived in a way that honors our Lord! A life that is worthy does not simply appear in the big moments, the grand gestures. It becomes evident over time in the ordinary kindness, the thoughtfulness, the selflessness that God desires of us. Know this, too; a worthy life is not calculated or forced. We live out of who we are at the core of our being. We will not live as a gracious, generous, Christ-honoring person if that is not who we really are in our core character. Jesus observed, "the mouth speaks what is in the heart."

Want to live a life worthy of the Lord, one that honors Jesus?
First, go the Cross and receive Christ, as Savior and Lord. Then, pray for a changed heart and begin to practice the spiritual disciplines that create channels into the core of your character for the inflow of the Holy Spirit's life-giving power. The person whose very heart is godly has integrity. This kind of integrity will bring honor to the Lord Jesus. Others will give thanks for us as the goodness of God splashes over into their lives. It is a life that of maturity, that knows self-regulation, and is lived 'on purpose.'

At the beginning of 2007, let me encourage you to join me on bended knee, humble before God, praying that He will pour out His grace - making us Believers who live without any gap between the faith we profess and our day to day deeds!

When others think of you, of the time they spent in your presence, let it be with thoughts of joy, of thankfulness to God for the ways your actions blessed them. "Every time I think of you, I thank my God. And whenever I mention you in my prayers, it makes me happy." (Philippians 1:3-5, CEV)
________________________________

Out in the highways and byways of life,
Many are weary and sad.
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife,
Making the sorrowing glad.

Tell the sweet story of Christ and His love;
Tell of His pow'r to forgive.
Others will trust Him if only you prove true
Every moment you live.

Give as 'twas given to you in your need;
Love as the Master loved you.
Be to the helpless a helper indeed;
Unto your mission be true.

Make me a blessing,
Make me a blessing,
Out of my life may Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O Savior I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

Make Me A Blessing
Author: Wilson, Ira B. / Schuler, George S.
Copyright: Word Music, Inc. (a div. of Word Music Group, Inc.)

No comments: