Monday, January 01, 2007

Musing in the opening hours of 2007

More than a few of us somehow awakened this January 1,2007 with the assumption that this year would finally be the 'one' - the year that we get thinner, or richer, or married, or un-married, or that we'll fall in love, or that we will forgive that person who hurt us badly last year, or... well, come on - you're kind of hoping for something to get better this year, aren't you? Each of us hopes in one way or another. What better time to renew our dreams than right at the start of a new year? Truthfully, I am eager for 2007, but not because I'm running from something. I'm running to Someone! I enjoyed many blessings, big and small, in '06. My family is healthy and prosperous, my kids and grandkids all doing reasonably well, thank the Lord. Bev and I became homeowners last year. It's not a big deal in terms of the world, but it was a blessings to us. Our church agreed to sell us the parsonage so we could start to prepare in earnest for that time when we retire in 20 years. Yes, we're a little late, but better late than never, right? More significantly, I came to know the Lord in a fuller way - which, paradoxically, only increased my hunger for Him and my desire to share Him with others.

It's not all joy and light, however. Spiritually, intellectually, and emotionally I am a work in progress! I like that old saying, "Be patient with me. God is not finished with me yet!" For you see, there are rooms in my heart house that need to be renovated by the Spirit of God. I pray He will enter them with His transforming grace in 2007. I hope for new victories in 2007 with faith that is founded on His promises and my experience of His amazing grace over the years. And, too, my heart continues to be broken by the death and suffering that millions endure in places like the Darfur region of the Sudan, Iraq, and North Korea. The plight of millions in our inner cities that are gripped by poverty and crime causes me to pray with urgency. I pray and hope that this new year will bring us some wise leaders who will join in the work of the Spirit of God in defeating dark, ugly demons that feed on human terror and agony!

Then, too, I hope for a change in the overall state of the Christian church in America, described so fittingly with Jesus' words to the ancient church in the city of Laodicea: "You’re stale. You’re stagnant. You make me want to vomit. You brag, ‘I’m rich, I’ve got it made, I need nothing from anyone,’ oblivious that in fact you’re a pitiful, blind beggar, threadbare and homeless. “Here’s what I want you to do: Buy your gold from me, gold that’s been through the refiner’s fire. Then you’ll be rich. Buy your clothes from me, clothes designed in Heaven. You’ve gone around half-naked long enough. And buy medicine for your eyes from me so you can see, really see." (Revelation 3:16-18, The Message) My prayer today is that the Lord will begin a work of renewal - and start with me! I want more than a temporary surge of spiritual fervor, more than comfort. I pray for real and lasting passion for the things of God, a passion that is paired with courage to live in His will regardless of the cost.

For what are you longing today?

Dream big. Hope for great things. Enlarge the vision that feeds your prayers. Don't just pray for a few more dollars in your pocket or for favor on the job. Yes, it's just fine to take those things to God in prayer, but ask the Spirit to help you to pray for the Kingdom to be established - in you and in this old world. James reminds us that "the earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and wonderful results." (James 5:16, NLT)

Happy New Year, friend.
"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being,
so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power,
together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—

that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,
according to his power that is at work within us,
to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations,
for ever and ever! Amen." (Ephesians 3:16-21, NIV)
_____________________________

Father, I come to you this first day of this new year,
hopefully and prayerfully, asking that You will do a new work
in my heart and mind, a transformational work that makes me
fit for Your service, ready to be the person you want me to be.

I pray this hopefully remembering that You
defeated a giant using a teenage boy and his slingshot;
remembering that you called a young peasant woman
to bear Your Son and to bless this world;
remembering that you took an uneducated and unsophisticated fisherman named Simon
and filled Him with Your Spirit making him a rock in your Church,
and that You have him new name- Peter - that reflected the transformation!

So, I believe you can use me.
"Here I am, send me." is my hopeful prayer,
prayed in the Name of Jesus Christ, Savior and Lord -
of the world and of my life
. Amen.

No comments: