Monday, February 20, 2006

With hands lifted up

Raising our hands over our heads is a human behavior that recurs at different times, in different situations - but it always has a similar meaning.

If you attend a Charismatic church you'll see people standing with their hands raised during the praise and worship segment of the service. The meaning? "Lord, I give myself, my worship to You!"

Go to a rock concert and you will see people swaying to the beat with their hands raised. Perhaps less consciously, but never the less plainly, they are expressing admiration for the musicians.

See a police team arrest a suspect, especially in a violent crime situation, and you'll see the suspect with his hands raised over his head. Similarly a defeated army will march with their hands raised - a sign of surrender!

From the history of Israel comes a story of curious details. Take a look.
"Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset. So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.
Then the LORD said to Moses, “Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered and make sure that Joshua hears it, because I will completely blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven.” Moses built an altar and called it The LORD is my Banner. He said, “For hands were lifted up to the throne of the LORD. The LORD will be at war against the Amalekites from generation to generation.”"
(Exodus 17:10-16, NIV)

Most of the time that story is taught as a lesson about helping each other. The action of Aaron and Hur in keeping Moses hands raised is admirable, but it is not the focus of the account, nor do I believe it is the reason that this little incident is recorded in the Holy Scripture. The focus is on Moses' attitude of submission to God! In keeping his hands raised, Moses is using that universally recognized way to say - "I worship You, surrender to You, accept Your authority!" God rewarded that submission by giving victory to His people.

Moses received a revelation of God's Name that day - in the KJV we read, "Jehovah Nissi." Other translations write, "God, my Banner." The clearest meaning is "God, my War Flag." When I live under His authority and by His power, symbolically described here as marching under His flag, I am victorious. Moses then explains this Name saying, "For hands were lifted up to the throne of the LORD." He was recording for all of us to read, that when he saluted God with raised hands, when he recognized the power and authority of the God of Israel, he saw victory!

Are you a submitted, surrendered Believer who lives with a constant attitude of adoration?
Are your hands raised to the Living Lord, Jesus Christ - perhaps not literally- but figuratively?
Does your life reflect an attitude of that declares you're living under the Banner of the LORD?
If so, you will triumph over sin and Satan!!

Let me leave you with these reflections of the importance of adoration and surrender that borrow the same metaphorical expression...
"Lift your praising hands to the Holy Place, and bless God. In turn, may God of Zion bless you— God who made heaven and earth!" (Psalm 134:2-3, The Message)

"I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you." (Psalm 63:4-5, NIV)

"Hear the voice of my supplications When I cry to You, When I lift up my hands toward Your holy sanctuary. " (Psalm 28:2, NKJV)
___________________

I will bless Thee, O Lord.
I will bless Thee, O Lord.
With a heart of thanksgiving
I will bless Thee, O Lord.

With my hands lifted up
And my mouth filled with praise,
With a heart of thanksgiving
I will bless Thee, O Lord.

I Will Bless Thee O Lord- Ester Watanabe
Copyright: 1970- Admin. by New Song Music Company 45-707 A Lanipola Place, Kaneohe, HI 96744)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe many people are searching for complete worship and to receive all the things Christ died on the cross for, today more than ever.........