Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Real Treasure

What do I value? That question shaped my meditation after I read Luke 12. My family is precious to me. I love my children and grandchildren! I adore my wife with feelings akin to worship. (Yes, I know that I have to careful there!) The privilege of serving a church as her pastor is high on the list. Then, too, I like the technology that I use in the course of doing my work. Getting a new gadget brightens the day! I take care of my truck because it is of some value to me as well. Of course, I need money and spend some time each week taking care of financial concerns. But, my real treasure? That would have to be knowing Jesus. Life without God is incomprehensible to me, for He is the core of my existence. Family, possessions, and position obviously are of great importance to me, but my basic identity and my foundational security is found in Jesus Christ.

One day as Jesus was teaching, somebody shouted from the crowd, "Tell my brother to fairly divide the family estate with me!" His reply is curious. Instead of inquiring about the details of this family dispute, he tells a story about a man who had a run of prosperity that was so great that he had to tear down his granaries and build bigger ones. This man was certain that he was 'set' for life! He said, "Now I can take it easy: I'll eat, drink, and be merry!" Sounds a lot like most of us Americans, doesn't he? We are busy with acquiring things, building wealth, for we are taught that in wealth we will find security and comfort. And there is some truth in that. Wealth provides us with options, allows us to control aspects of our lives, and earns us a measure of respect.

But when Jesus continued with his story, He captured the limitations of wealth with this stark declaration: “Just then God showed up and said, ‘Fool! Tonight you die. And your barnful of goods—who gets it?’ “That’s what happens when you fill your barn with Self and not with God.” (Luke 12:20-21, The Message) God was not punishing this man for gaining wealth or for his success. The point of Jesus' story is the limitations of wealth, and the emptiness that results from attempting to find life's meaning in material good. No matter how rich we are, eventually we will leave this world behind, and our wealth will stay here to be taken by another. So, Jesus did answer the man who asked for help in getting a fair estate settlement, but not the answer he necessarily wanted. Jesus was saying to him, "Value your relationships, more than making sure you get what you think is rightfully yours."

Jesus then taught about how to be wealthy in a different way. "Trust God! Be content! Share with those in need!" If we do these things, He promised that God would provide for our true needs while we live here on earth. Even more importantly, we will have invested treasure in Heaven, where it is completely secure and lasting. He sums up all of this with this challenging word- "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Luke 12:34, NIV)

You want to know what you value most? Listen to yourself talk.
What occupies your attention?
What or who is the focus of your efforts? That is your treasure! How easily we are taken in by the glitter of gold! The Word warns us about the possibility of letting the seed of God's Truth becoming "crowded out by the cares of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for nice things, so no crop is produced." (Mark 4:19, NLT) We must keep weeding the garden of our mind so that the Truth can grow into a great harvest of true wealth. Be rich in your relationship with God. Love Him, love others in His name.
___________________

Father, You are my portion in this life
And You are my hope and my delight.
And I love You, yes, I love You,
Lord, I love You, my delight.

Jesus, You are my treasure in this life
And You are so pure and so kind.
And I love You, yes, I love You,
Lord, I love You, my delight.


My Delight; Andy Park
Copyright: 1987 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing

No comments: