Friday, February 24, 2006

Jesus Saves- plain and simple.

The story of Jesus is powerful! I've always believed that, but in the earliest days of my ministry I was embarrassed by the 'simplicity' of the proclamation of the Good News. I thought that we needed to dress up the ancient story with psychology, with lessons on behavior modification, etc. I was mistaken. The Church's reason for being is to tell the story of Jesus Christ, plain and simple! Our greatest need - to be restored to our Father's love and then to live under His care - is accomplished when we believe the good story, the Gospel.

In Romans we read - "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”" (1:16-17, NIV)

When the Spirit shows me some area where I am failing to live up to God's purpose (yes, the word is 'sin') I will not become a holy person because someone offers me an explanation about why I am doing the wrong things. Nor will I become righteous if presented with a complex strategy to change my behavior. I need to be changed from the inside out and that requires an encounter with the living Christ! Sure it is helpful to understand our 'wiring' and how our experiences of yesterday are affecting our perception of life today, but transformation results when we humble ourselves and receive God's gift of forgiveness that was fully obtained on our behalf by Jesus Christ on the Cross. Once restored to God, we then invite the Holy Spirit to work in our minds and hearts. The Bible says, "Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is." (Romans 12:2, NLT)

When great sorrow and disappointment flood into our lives, there is only one Truth that steadies us - Jesus saves. Yesterday when a couple of my friends called to tell me about situations they were going through that were hard; unexplainable experiences that had them hurting and confused, the one affirmation that I could share with them was that Jesus loves. To try to fit their pain into a grand theory of the design of the Universe would have been futile. But, the simple, and true, word is Jesus cares!

I want to be known as a "Jesus person." No, I don't want to be anti-intellectual, nor do I want to put my mind out to pasture. I just want the Spirit of Jesus to spill over from me, into the lives of those who are alienated from the Source of Hope, into the lives of those who are hurting and need the Healing Presence of the Lord, into the lives of those who are stumbling around in confusion who need to see the Light of the World.

Have you been distracted from the Good News of Jesus by religion, by good works, by high sounding philosophies?
Has your Christianity become a burdensome duty?
Is your worship just a ritual that fulfills some social obligation or that meets some psychological need?

Look again to Jesus Christ! Love Him! Read the story of His life and work from Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
________________

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There's light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free!

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth
Will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.

Thro' death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
Over us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu'rors we are!

His word shall not fail you He promised;
Believe Him, and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

No comments: