Friday, January 27, 2006

Led by the Spirit

A few years ago the idea of learning to dance with my wife formed in my head. I thought it would be romantic and fun to be able to move together to the rhythms of a waltz. Really, I did! So we joined about 10 other couples in a class at the local fitness center. Our teachers opened the first session by putting on a song and showing us the end result they hoped to teach us to achieve.; two people, moving as one, gracefully across the floor. I'm not exactly sure why that appealed to me but it did and it does! I still don't know how to dance with my wife! After two frustrating hours, I gave up and became a swing dance class drop-out.

The idea died until a couple of years ago when Bev and I were at MusicFest and listening to one of the big bands. A couple we were sitting with there got up and started to dance together... and wow; could they dance! Terry and Lisa became like one person, beautiful to watch, and having a great time together, moving under the influence of the music coming from the stage.

There are two primary reasons I still can't dance. First, I am too self-conscious and won't just 'let myself go.' Second, I am too analytic, trying to break down each movement into tiny parts rather than just moving into the music. To become a dancer, I have to give up control and come under the influence of the music as well as becoming more responsive to the movement of my partner. It isn't happening, yet!

Living as a Spirit-filled Christian has more than a few parallels to the idea of a couple in a beautiful dance! The Bible says, {Galatians 5:25} Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Some Believers struggle and fight, moving through life in fits and starts, with great effort. Others move gracefully, led by the Spirit's music. Both types of Believers live in the same broken world and deal with the same tough stuff - disappointment, difficult bosses, financial challenges, hurricanes and snow storms, traffic jams, temptation, and all those kinds of things. Yet, some are full of grace while others are a frightful mess.

There is an explanation illustrated by the life of Simon Peter who was called by Jesus to become a disciple. For three years, he didn't get it right, time after time. Oh, he tried, mightily! But most of the time it came out wrong, turned out badly. The low point was the night of Jesus' arrest and trial. First when warned of impending failure by the Lord, Peter insisted that even if the other disciples failed, "I never will!" "Ah," Jesus said sadly, "but you will, Peter. Before the rooster announces the dawn, you will deny me three times." Then, a few hours later as Jesus was being arrested, Peter pulled out his sword and made an attempt at defending his Friend, succeeding only in cutting off a man's ear, which Jesus promptly healed, as He told Peter, "Put that thing away!" And, a little later, in the grip of panic, we can over hear Peter cursing and swearing as he says, "I tell you, I never knew him!"

Flip the calendar ahead 50 days to the opening chapters of the book of Acts. A man with the same name but a new manner of living appears. Peter leads the disciples, teaches them the Scripture, preaches on the street, and boldly stands up to those who are trying to crush the Jesus movement. With grace and beauty he moves through those chapters. How does the Bible account for the difference? Acts 4:8 sums it up, saying "Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, . . ."

The life and music of the Spirit filled him up and he began to dance gracefully under the Spirit's influence, moving to the rhythms of Heaven. When he came to the end of himself, when he was crushed beyond hope by his failure, God came with the outpouring of His Spirit. And Peter was never again a bumbling goof-up. Yes, he made mistakes now and again, but he was a man of grace and power, who spread the message of Jesus and life across the world!

Are you 'keeping step with the Spirit,' or are you stumbling and bumbling, from fall to failure?
Listen to the music of the Spirit. Give yourself over to His lead. Be filled! And start to dance!
________________________

Lord-willing, this Sunday, I will continue the theme, "Living a Break Through Life" at the Assembly.
I'll be exploring this concept of keeping step with the Spirit. Come and worship with us at 10:15 AM!

No comments: