Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Eyes on the prize?

Christianity Today (Feb., 2006) reports a story about Bruce Wilkinson's departure from Africa. The well-known author of The Prayer of Jabez, suddenly left the ministry, Dream For Africa, that he founded with great public fanfare two years ago. According to the article, his designs to create a home in Swaziland for 10,000 AIDS orphans were frustrated by local government inaction. In addition, he was severely criticized by African press, accused of being more interested in controlling land than helping orphans, a baseless charge. After 18 months, Wilkinson, despite having American support and plentiful resources, quit Africa to return to his home in Georgia. A source is quoted as saying, "Bruce was broken at this time. Dream for Africa had physically, emotionally, spiritually, and financially taken a serious toll."

Days come to us all when we've 'had enough!' We quit; or, at least, we think we want to. We are tempted to just get in our car and drive away, leaving 'the problem' in our rearview mirror. The reason I was so interested in the Wilkinson story is that I could identify with the kinds of emotions that he must have felt when he was accused of ulterior motives and frustrated by inaction. When I've experienced those things, I have thought that it was just because I didn't have enough money, or staff, or time ... or something ... to implement my dreams. Yet, here is a man with all those things- money, staff, resources- who, to all reports, got fed up and went home! I am sad for him and sad for those in Africa with such huge needs that he left behind. (Please read what follows as personal, not as relating to Wilkinson, since I don't know his heart.)

When I am tempted to quit my calling, to look for an easier place to serve, the one important thing I know is this - "Do nothing!"

The worst time to make a decision for the future is when I am discouraged, frustrated, or angry! The pithy wisdom of Proverbs reminds me, "There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death." (Proverbs 16:25, NLT) The course of action that 'makes so much sense' now, may look quite foolish a month from now when the pressure has let up. I have lived long enough to be very thankful that I didn't resign or move under pressure on more than one occasion. To be sure, there are times when a strategic retreat is in order. When we're up against an unyielding foe, when nothing is going right, when everything thing we try to do meets with opposition- there's not a thing wrong with saying, "I need to take a break!" We step away, for a day or take a week's vacation, and try to regain perspective. A prayer retreat, where we get alone with our thoughts and God, letting it all out with a flood of words (and maybe some tears, too), can help to restore us to effectiveness. God has taught me this, too - at the end of myself, He's able to step in and do amazingly wonderful things. It's true! When I give up, when I throw my hands up in frustration saying, "I don't know what to do," God finds an opening!

Don't misunderstand what that means. When "God steps in" that doesn't mean we get to feel better, that we enjoy vindication, or that everyone around falls in line with our program. It means that we give away the need to be right, the desire to have it done our way, and/or the need for recognition. Ego must die (again and again!) so that the Spirit-life can emerge. Letting God take over is a costly, deathly choice, that provides a way for His plan to take root and grow bringing new life. Often those who have opposed us even rejoice thinking that they have prevailed against us! "God knows!" is what I tell myself in those moments. He knows what I've done, why I've done it, and His approval is what matters most!

Are you ready to quit today? Can you find a way to do a strategic retreat? Is there an honest counselor (no, not someone who will just tell you that you're right!) who will help you unravel the knots? James teaches us - "let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing." (James 1:4, KJV)

Here's the complete thought. Take this word from the Word with you today. "So let endurance grow, for when it is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything. If you need wisdom—if you want to know what God wants you to do—ask him, and he will gladly tell you. He will not resent your asking. But when you ask him, be sure that you really expect him to answer, for a doubtful mind is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind." (James 1:4-6, NLT)

Steady on - for God's glory.

No comments: