Monday, January 30, 2006

My tomorrow's are all known to Him

I'm a news buff; reading the newspaper everyday, watching TV almost every evening, and keeping my eye on headline development with pop-ups on my PC screen at the office. These are the headlines that I've read in the last few days...

Iran ready to produce nuclear weapons with aim of Israel's destruction!
Bird Flu reaches to Turkey. (Really, that was a headline. I'll bet the editor thought it was 'catchy.')
Tragic wreck ends life of husband and father!
Hamas takes power in Palestinian world!

ABC News Anchor, critically injured in Iraq by bomb!

There are those things that don't make headlines, but that are real threats to personal security all the same - things like viruses and layoffs. On one hand, my life seems as predictable as the sunrise. I awaken each day to a peaceful neighborhood, and move through familiar rituals. I have no sense of doom or danger, occasionally even joking with my wife about how 'boring' we are, two middle-aged people who just do what needs to be done without much fanfare or excitement. Boring, in the 'no crisis' sense, is good!

But, I am also aware that life can change in a moment! One visit to the doctor's office; a patch of ice on a country road, as I was reminded again last week, can rewrite the script for family's future in 2 seconds. Just over four years ago, on 9/11/01, our national illusion of invincibility was erased by 19 terrorists with murderous intentions. An ordinary Tuesday morning, turned into a national month of mourning and literally changed the course of history.

So, how do we live in a world that is so full of potential threats and danger?

1. We acknowledge our vulnerability! But doesn't that make us insecure? Doesn't that fill us with anxiety? Not necessarily, but it does make us act more wisely. When I climb into my Mountaineer with its heavy frame and air bags for safety, I 'feel' secure; so secure that I'm tempted to ignore the seatbelts. But it's a false sense of security! The activity that exposes me to the greatest risk of injury or death everyday is driving my car! So, if I recognize that danger and put on my seatbelt, I reduce the risk by a huge margin!

Spiritually, we risk falling into terribly destructive behaviors when we think we're too good, or too smart, to be tempted, to make foolish or sinful choices. That is why the Word reminds us (1 Cor. 10:12 The Message) "Don’t be so naive and self-confident. You’re not exempt. You could fall flat on your face as easily as anyone else. Forget about self-confidence; it’s useless. Cultivate God-confidence."

2. We keep our hope secure in Christ, our Lord. Watch out for 'magical' kind of thinking that corrupts authentic faith! I know a man who is a modern Job! If it could go wrong for him, it has. He has lost nearly everything he held dear and is on the edge of even throwing away his faith. I have no clue why the Lord has allowed him to taste such a bitter cup, nor would it be proper for me to make a judgment. But, I think I know why he has come to such bitterness in his soul. He was taught, wrongly, that if he did the 'right things' and said the 'right prayers,' that he could exempt himself from the suffering that is common to the human race. His Christianity was tinged with religious magic. So, when life fell apart, he could only conclude one of two things - "God lied!" or "I failed." Either one of those is a pretty devastating conclusion. The first is impossible, the second possibly not true! Jesus reminds us that bad things happen even to good people. (see John 9)

So what does it mean to hope in Christ? We raise our sights to eternity, trusting His promise to 'never leave us, nor forsake us' in this world and to bring us home to the Father's house when our life is complete! (Col 3:1-3 NLT) "Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits at God’s right hand in the place of honor and power. Let heaven fill your thoughts. Do not think only about things down here on earth. For you died when Christ died, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God." That is an amazingly wonderful way to live.

3. We pray with a child-like faith! Yes, I believe in angels, for the Bible tells me that "they are ministering spirits sent to serve" Believers, so I ask for God to send His angels to watch over those I love. And, too, even as I trust in God's ability to rule all of the matters of life, I recognize that He has given me the privilege of praying for change, so I do. And as someone has said, "the more I pray, the more amazing 'coincidences' happen around me." The prayers of God's people change the course of history. So, I pray - with humility, yet boldly, coming into the very Presence of God to present my petitions, to ask for Him to keep me in His hands, to present myself to the Spirit for guidance and change.

Feeling a little anxious today? Me, too. So, I'll pray. Join me.
_______________

Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, help me stand!
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn.
Through the storm, through the night;
Lead me on to the light.
Take my hand, Precious Lord, Lead me home.

When my way grows drear,
Precious Lord, linger near.
When my life is almost gone;
Hear my cry, hear my call,Hold my hand lest I fall.
Take my hand, Precious Lord, Lead me home.

When the darkness appears,
And the night draws near,
And the day is past and gone.
At the river I stand,
Guide my feet, hold my hand.
Take my hand, Precious Lord, Lead me home.

Precious Lord (Take My Hand) Tommy Dorsey

No comments: