Monday, October 31, 2005

"Up's and Down's"

Yesterday was an "UP" day for me! The Spirit of God was evident among us as we joyfully noted the new life of seven people in baptism. Some friends from a church we served in New England were with us for worship and it was good to see them, too. The congregation I lead celebrated a "Pastor's Appreciation Day," with a luncheon featuring a football theme, "Victory in Jesus." (and they even used the Patriot's colors!) I read through cards in the afternoon which noted ways that God has used Bev and I to bless people in the church and it was gratifying to know that He touches lives through us. Yes, it was an "UP" day for which I am tremendously thankful.

Pastors are well acquainted with "DOWN" days, too. In addition to dealing with our own occasional difficulties, we are called to stand alongside of people when death visits, when illness calls, when disappointment floods over them. Repeatedly, we move through the cycle from "UP" to "DOWN" and back again. It isn't just pastors, that live in the cycle, is it? This is the human experience!

With spiritual maturity comes the realization that it is important to continue to trust and serve the Lord consistently all through the cycle. He is equally worthy of our praise when we are in the depth of the valley as when He is when we are on the height of the mountain. He uses both to shape us and to prepare us for His service. When I look back, I see where the intense trials have been a means of discovering new truths about myself and God. I see where celebrations of victories have strengthened my faith as well.

In the Word, Paul urges us to adopt a perspective that sees the big picture!
He writes,
"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!...
(In the UP days, remember to thank God.)

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."...
(In the DOWN days, remember to trust God.)Philippians 4:4, 6 NIV

He points out the steady faith that keeps us on course. -"I’m just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am." Philippians 4:12-13, The Message

Life changes. Jesus is the same.
Now that doesn't mean we must work at becoming robots. Nor does that mean that we adopt a stoic response to life that refuses to engage with the joy and/or the sorrows that are part of living. Rather, we learn to be steady. When we are 'in Christ,' we are equipped to a life that is marked equally by the fruit of the Holy Spirit's presence in the darkest nights and the brightest noonday.

Set your hope in Him. Pray that the Holy Spirit will mature a steady faith in you that remains evident in tears and laughter, because your life is anchored to the Rock. "...we ...have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us ... We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure." (Hebrews 6:18-19, NIV)
_______________________

Through It All

I've had many tears and sorrows.
I've had questions for tomorrow.
There've been times I didn't know right from wrong.
But in every situation, God gave blessed consolation
That my trials only come to make me strong.

I thank God for the mountains and I thank Him for the valleys;
I thank Him for the storms He brought me through.
For if I'd never had a problem,
I wouldn't know that He could solve them;
I'd never know what faith in God could do.

Through it all, through it all,
Oh, I've learned to trust in Jesus;
I've learned to trust in God.
Through it all, through it all,
I've learned to depend upon His word.

Crouch, Andrae - Copyright: 1971 Manna Music, Inc. ARR UBP of Manna Music, Inc. (35255 Brooten Road, Pacific City, OR 97135)

No comments: