Friday, November 04, 2005

Swinging at curve balls

Sometimes just when we think we have things in line, somebody throws us a pitch that we swing at 'cause it sure looks like a straight-in fast ball! But, we miss because it breaks away from what we expected - right at the last moment. It was a curve ball! Life threw me a couple of curve balls yesterday! A curve ball, for the record, is a fast pitch that appears to 'break' out of a straight line. The ball doesn't really curve but rather travels in an arc, but to the batter, it looks like it curves near the end of its line of travel. If a batter realizes the pitcher has thrown a curve ball and does not swing at it, it will often end up being called a 'ball' since the arc of travel will usually cause it to travel outside of the strike zone- or so I'm told.
(If you're interested in the physics involved, see http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2002.web.dir/Jon_Drobnis/curveball.html)

There is one constant in life - change! Just when we think that we have reached a place where things are steady, life is predictable, where we can make some plans, when we can relax: here comes a curve ball. Our employers announces pending lay-offs, a storm blows through our state, somebody in our family becomes seriously ill, our spouse decides that he isn't happy with the marriage, inner doubts rise about our faith. Such is the stuff of life, isn't it? So, in those moments are we at the mercy of circumstances? No, friend. We have a choice. My choice is to turn to the One who steadies me, the One who sees life's curve balls in advance.

What a privilege it is to rest my soul in Christ Jesus, to put those things I did not foresee before Him, and to know that He will guide me. I've gone again and again to a passage from Hebrews 6 this week. There I find this assuring declaration, "we who have fled to him for refuge can take new courage, for we can hold on to his promise with confidence. This confidence is like a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls." NLT 18 I am thankful that I have a Rock in Whom my life is anchored. When we are firmly anchored in the unchanging Christ, His peaceful presence can keep us from getting rattled, from swinging wildly, so that we strike out. I've seen young baseball players strike out at the plate, not for lack of skill, but because they got unnerved by a canny pitcher who threw a couple of unexpected pitches at them. I've allowed myself to become panicked more than once when the things coming at me were not what I had prepared for. A fear-filled person is not the most rational person, is he?

We need to take the time to reset our anchor, to deepen our trust, to confess our faith! How do we do that? We pray. We worship. We 'claim the Truth!' The methods we use to do those things will differ. I love to go and sit at the piano for a while, playing songs that come from memory (usually fracturing the lyrics!) and letting those songs become my prayer. One of the reasons that I put going to church so high on my list of priorities each week (besides being the pastor!) is that being among a group of people who are focusing their attention on God helps me to focus my attention on Him, too. Sometimes I just get in my car and drive to a secluded spot near a river or in the woods and sit silently listening to the sounds of the earth, while inwardly asking God for new perspective.

If you're in need of help discovering ways to pray and worship that 'fit' you- let me suggest a book by Gary Thomas- Sacred Pathways, Discovering your Soul's Path to God. While remaining solidly committed to the truth of Christ Jesus, Thomas suggests varied ways that we can enrich our experience of God's Presence.

Has life served up a few 'curve balls?'
Are you feeling unsettled by them, unsure, maybe even fearful?
Right now, take a moment to talk to the Lord - in your own words - about it.
"Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act.
Don’t worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes."

_______________________________________

I must tell Jesus all of my trials,
I cannot bear these burdens alone.
In my distress He kindly will help me.
He ever loves and cares for His own.

Tempted and tried, I need a great Savior,
One who can help my burdens to bear.
I must tell Jesus, I must tell Jesus,
He all my cares and sorrows will share.

O how the world to evil allures me.
O how my heart is tempted to sin.
I must tell Jesus and He will help me,
Over the world the victory to win.

I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone.
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.

© Public Domain CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: