Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Prayer shaped by love

We have three kids living in South Florida along with two daughters-in-law and two grandsons. Hurricane Wilma hit that region yesterday harder than most had anticipated. I watched the storm track on the news and realized they would feel the storm's impact, all throughout the day, I kept praying for them. No matter what I was doing, no matter where I was, my mind was never far from Boynton Beach, Florida! Our cell phones rang repeatedly as I called them and they called me. "Dad, it's frighteningly fierce out there!" "Dad, our shed just collapsed." "Dad, I can see a part of our roof blowing off." "Dad, parts of the living ceiling just fell in." "Grandpa, our mailbox blew down." "Hey, Dad, you know how you love a thunderstorm? You oughta be here right now. You'd love this. It's amazing."

And I was saying, "Father, place your Hand over those children. Please keep them from harm." At the end of the storm, they were safe. Their property was damaged, but livable. And I breathed a prayer as the day closed, "Thanks, Abba, for walking us through this day!" I needed no reminder to pray. I didn't have to write a list, or put a note on the frig! Those were my kids in that storm and my heart was with them.

On reflection, I thought about the family of Believers. Paul reminds us that we are Body, attached to each other. "If one part suffers, all parts suffer with it," he writes in 1 Corinthians 12. If we love the family of God, our prayers won't be forced, nor will we need to coached or prodded. We will pray, prompted by love. Our prayers reveal the depth of our love, the strength of our ties. When stormy times sweep through the lives of our brothers and sisters, our hearts will carry them close. We will breathe their name to Abba in Heaven frequently and faithfully.

It is impossible for most of us to love hundreds, perhaps even dozens of people in that deep kind of way. That is why it is so important to be linked with a smaller group within the Church - a prayer fellowship, a Sunday School class, a ministry team, or a small home group. "But, Pastor Jerry, doesn't that lead to cliques?" It can, but it need not be that way. We must recognize the 'network' nature of human relationships. We maintain close ties with several, who are tied to others, who are close to even more; and in this way we are all connected, all sharing together.

Being closely tied to a fellowship where there is reciprocal ministry and prayer does not mean we are without concern for those who are outside of our small group. We love all of God's people. When we hear of suffering on the far side of the globe, we pray and we care. Even then there is a thread of love that binds our hearts together to God's extended family. But, we need those primary relationships in God's family that are deep and strong, our 'family' network that steadies us in the storm and carries us with fervent prayer!

Here's a word from the Word. Let it become instructive to you and help you to strengthen your love for the family of God.
"Because you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ... I am sure that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again. It is right that I should feel as I do about all of you, for you have a very special place in my heart. We have shared together the blessings of God, ... defending the truth and telling others the Good News. God knows how much I love you and long for you with the tender compassion of Christ Jesus."
(Philippians 1:5-8, NLT)
___________________

The Family Of God

You will notice we say "brother" and "sister" 'round here.
It's because we're a family and these folks are so near.
When one has a heartache, we all share the tears,
And rejoice in each victory in this family so dear.

I'm so glad I'm a part of the fam'ly of God.
I've been washed in the fountain,Cleansed by His blood!
Joint heirs with Jesus as we travel this sod,
For I'm part of the fam'ly, the family of God.


Author: Gaither, William J. / Gaither, Gloria
Copyright: 1970 William J. Gaither, Inc. ARR UBP of Gaither Copyright Management

No comments: