Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Still true?

An obscure text became God's instruction and promise to me a long time ago. In Numbers 18:20-21 the Bible says, "The LORD said to Aaron, “You will have no inheritance in their land, nor will you have any share among them; I am your share and your inheritance among the Israelites. “I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the Tent of Meeting." (NIV)

You might be saying, "What's that supposed to mean?" At age 16, the Spirit of God moved on me making it clear that my life was to be given to the service of God in his church. In May, 1980 I was ordained for ministry. Soon after, as my little family grew, financial pressures came into our lives. I observed many other ministers getting involved in sideline businesses to increase their income and was tempted to do so myself. Then, God again clearly spoke using the passage referenced, telling me that I was not to become involved in other business, and that He would provide for me and my family, if I would serve Him single-mindedly. End of story, right? No way. At various stages in life, the temptation returned- based on this need, that want, concern for the future, etc. Temptation to set aside God's way for me always came wrapped in 'reasons' why I could do what I felt was expedient.

Each time I was presented with a business or investment opportunity, I had to go back to that day when God said, "I'll be your inheritance!" To be honest, sometimes it was hard to say "yes, Lord, I'll trust You," when I wanted more things, or felt I needed to provide more for the kid's educations. The promise needed to be renewed in my mind so I would remain faithful to His demand of me. I questioned, "is it still true?" Of course it was and is, for God does not change.

I share that with you today for two reasons.
First, I want you to know that God gives promises to us alongside of His requirements of us.
Second, I want you to know that to remain faithfulness in our service requires that we renew our understanding of and commitment to His promise.

Look through the Bible and you will find many references to renewal of covenants.
  • God renewed the vision and calling of Abraham, the father of the faithful, several times in his lifetime, each time clarifying the call and reminding him of the promise.
  • Moses called together the people of Israel near the end of his life and rehearsed the Covenant with them in detail. (see Deuteronomy 29)
  • The Church is called to renew our understanding of the Covenant of Grace frequently. Jesus instituted the Lord's Supper (Communion) and said, "Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes." (1 Corinthians 11:23-26, NIV)

When you are tested by life, when you want to re-write God's holy demands that were given to you, remember the promise that came with the call! And, remember this - "God’s gifts and God’s call are under full warranty—never canceled, never rescinded." (Romans 11:29, The Message) There is a reward for those who are faithful and obedient. Stand firm!

PS- God has kept His promise to me! He has provided abundantly for all I've ever needed and He's blessed me with so many wonderful things other than worldly wealth, I cannot help but be grateful as I reflect on those things today. Praise Him. Amen.

2 comments:

John said...

Thanks for the beautiful word of encouragement.

A question: does this mean a full-time minister has no say in how rich he becomes?

I mean, if a lay person decides "I want to be a millionaire by the end of next year," all he has to do is work harder, longer, smarter, and there is no limit to what he can achieve.

But if he or she is in full-time ministry, he or she can't earn extra pay by working longer hours, and he doesn't have spare time to devote to developing business ideas - so does that mean the most he can do to create wealth is invest his savings? and other than that, to depend on gifts?

A layman who works hard can be rewarded by creating hundreds of thousands of dollars of income per year. But if a full-time minister accepted a salary or gifts totalling hundreds of thousands of dollars per year, it would really be frowned upon, wouldn't it. So can't a full-time minister ever become better off than the equivalent of a wage or salary earner? Can he hope to prosper equivalent to a millionaire businessman?

Jerry D. Scott said...

Hi, John

I would NOT see God's directive to me concerning finanical involvements as a universal command. It was His word to me, for my obedience.

That said, I do think that committing to His call in Full-time ministry generally means focusing on a different kind of reward than wealth.