Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Nobody likes me!

Kids can be unbelievably cruel to each other. The smallest difference can become a cause for taunting and making fun - 'you're too fat,' 'your glasses are ugly,' 'your jeans are weird.' Any parent knows the how terrifying that kind of rejection is to a child. When our children were in elementary school, from time to time they would come home with sad stories of being picked on and crying, "nobody like me." I found it a real challenge to empathize, yet to help them get a more realistic point of view of their circumstances. As they were crying, I'd try this: "Are you sure that nobody likes you, or is it just a couple of kids? Have you been mean to them causing them to try to get even? What specifically don't they like about you? Does it really matter?" I don't know if those discussions had much effect. Truth is, the squabbles were usually short-lived and the same kids that 'hated' each other this week, were often allies on the playground the next! The one net effect of our parental training is that all of our now adult kids have a strong streak of social concern for the weak and those who are victimized by others.

So, do you ever take the road of self-pity crying, "Nobody likes me?"

Some great people in the Bible did. Remember Elijah, the mighty man of God, that did so many miracles? After a day of spectacular events when God rained fire from heaven on the sacrifice prepared by Elijah, an infuriated idol-worshipping queen, named Jezebel, sent this threat to the prophet: “The gods will get you for this and I’ll get even with you! By this time tomorrow you’ll be as dead as any one of those prophets.” (1 Kings 19:2, The Message) The great man fell into a terrible depression and ran off into a remote desert where he asked God to take his life! There is a lot of self-pity in his prayer when he says, “I have zealously served the Lord God Almighty. But the people of Israel have broken their covenant with you, torn down your altars, and killed every one of your prophets. I alone am left, and now they are trying to kill me, too.” (1 Kings 19:14, NLT) He was out of touch with reality. God reminded him that there were still thousands of people left in Israel who were true worshippers.

When we feel rejected, alone, and/or afraid - we must resist the temptation to take the 'it's me against the world' stance that leads us deeper into the mire of paranoia! I am convinced that the Enemy takes advantage of our fears and plays on our emotions in those times, leading us into greater sin, often with tragic spiritual results.

Feeling besieged today? Does it seem to you that you want to cry - 'nobody likes me?'
Find your way to your knees and talk it over with the Lord. Just lay it, plainly, for Him. He'll understand, perfectly! Let God love you. For when you are loved by Him, all other sources of insecurity become much less important.

Then, too, do not isolate yourself. Instead, reach out to a friend you trust. Ask them if they will listen and help you sort through the situations and emotions.
God has always provided me with friends whose counsel helped me find my way. Sometimes they empathize, just letting me work my way through the conflicts, the tough stuff. Sometimes they challenge my 'stinking thinking' when I lose touch with reality. Sometimes they pray for me or with me, asking for God to intervene in me and in the situation. I am so thankful for those people who have, in the course of my life, stayed faithful to God and stood by me.

Pick yourself up from the dust and go honor Him by living lovingly, faithfully, consistently committed to His ways. Here's a word from the Word. Meditate on it today.

A psalm of David, the servant of the Lord. He sang this song to the Lord on the day the Lord rescued him from all his enemies and from Saul.

I love you, Lord; you are my strength.
The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection.

He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my stronghold.
I will call on the Lord, who is worthy of praise, for he saves me from my enemies...

To the faithful you show yourself faithful; to those with integrity you show integrity.
To the pure you show yourself pure, but to the wicked you show yourself hostile.
You rescue those who are humble, but you humiliate the proud.
Lord, you have brought light to my life; my God, you light up my darkness.
In your strength I can crush an army; with my God I can scale any wall.

As for God, his way is perfect. All the Lord’s promises prove true.
He is a shield for all who look to him for protection.
For who is God except the Lord?
Who but our God is a solid rock?"

(Psalm 18: 1-3; 25-31, NLT)

No comments: