Thursday, August 18, 2005

"I'm thankful for my cancer..."

That's what a beautiful young woman said to me yesterday! She went on to tell me how her spiritual life has deepened remarkably, how her marriage has been so much better, that she has a clearer grasp on what things are true priorities in life. What faith! The tears stung my eyes as I heard sincere words that illustrated the truth of God's promise that nothing that enters our lives is wasted or meaningless IF we will let Him use it. Paul teaches us that "...the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will. And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn, with many brothers and sisters." (Romans 8:27-29, NLT)

I know that God doesn't 'cause' cancer. He isn't the source of sickness and suffering. These are rooted in the Curse of sin and evil in our world. But, I also know that He allows these things and uses them to shape us into the the person of His plans. The will of God for everyone of us is that we become like Jesus, that the character of the Lord be created in us. That character is sometimes developed in suffering, awful and terrible pain, that brings us to the end of the illusion of self-sufficiency and leads us to throw ourselves on Him!

Explore the rich text of that entire 8th chapter of the book of Romans if you're looking for hope in the midst of the suffering of this present world. That chapter starts by reminding us that because of Jesus, Believers no longer have to live under the cloud of God's judgment. "With the arrival of Jesus, the Messiah, that fateful dilemma is resolved. Those who enter into Christ’s being-here-for-us no longer have to live under a continuous, low-lying black cloud." (Romans 8:1, The Message) In fact, we are able, because of the life of the Spirit to be familiar with God, "greeting God with a childlike “What’s next, Papa?” ( v. 14, The Message) That doesn't mean we won't have hard times. The whole creation 'groans' under the weight of sin and suffering, but we are able, because of the Holy Spirit, to see past the pain of this moment to the promise of the 'future glory.'

Meanwhile, we pray, sometimes with wordless sighs and inspired murmurings, for the strength to live faithfully. The Spirit renews our faith so we can hang onto the promise that Someone is at work and His purposes will never be thwarted nor defeated for those who are justified before God through Jesus Christ. The chapter ends with this victory chant:
"I’m absolutely convinced that nothing—
nothing living or dead,
angelic or demonic,
today or tomorrow,
high or low,
thinkable or unthinkable—
absolutely nothing can get between us and God’s love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us. " (Romans 8:38-39, The Message)

Are you being tested today?
Are you groaning under the weight of suffering - spiritually, perhaps emotionally, or even physically?
Weep! Yes, let your tears be a language that God can understand. Groan, sigh, and trust Him! Confess your hope in His ultimate defeat of sin and suffering, in His ability to use the circumstances that surround you to make you like Jesus and to shape you into someone that is useful for the Master's purposes. And, never, ever doubt His love.
______________________________

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure,
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away,
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory.

Behold the man upon a cross.
My sin upon His shoulders;
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers.

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished;
His dying breath has brought me life -
I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything,
No gifts, no power, no wisdom;
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
His death and resurrection.

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart,
His wounds have paid my ransom.

© 1995 Kingsway's Thankyou Music
(Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing) CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: