Thursday, July 21, 2005

"Don't sweat the small stuff"

... and it's all small stuff! Richard Carlson wrote a book using that title. I have not read it, but I think I should. Did you ever notice how quickly trivial matters take over in life, how much time we spend on issues of little or no consequence?

The range of issues that I will deal with today is a wide one - from the relatively unimportant to those that are literally eternal matters. I need to make a decision about replacing some doors on one of our church's buildings that are in bad shape. I'm scheduled to attend a meeting to move the process of developing a new ministry to the homeless along. And I will spending some time this afternoon talking over eternal life with a woman who is, barring a heavenly miracle, just about to reach the finish line of her earthly existence. Additionally, I know that I must take time for prayer and spiritual renewal, so that I will hear from the Spirit of God and commune with Him. Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that my car signaled that it needs an oil change!

You live in this same world and face similar pressures and demands, don't you? My point in relating the above is not to underscore how pressured my life is, for that is a lie of the Enemy, certainly. If the Devil can convince me that the weight of the world rests on my shoulders, he knows I am beaten in that moment! The truth is that God knew what this day would hold for me and He has prepared the resources for me that will be needed to meet each demand with wisdom and grace. We must remind ourselves, again and again, that today is the day that the Lord has made and so is tomorrow, and so is the day after that!

The question I must answer in the next few moments here at the beginning of this day is - which of those issues will get the most attention and focus? I know which ones should, and I know how likely I am to respond to the "urgent" matters pressed on me, rather than the important ones. Who or what will control my life, my emotions, and my spirit today? There is a word from the Lord that helps me when responsibilities multiply -

If God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won’t he more surely care for you? You have so little faith! And don’t worry about food—what to eat and drink. (Don't sweat over the stuff that is temporary and passing.) Don’t worry whether God will provide it for you.
These things dominate the thoughts of most people, but your Father already knows your needs. He will give you all you need from day to day if you make the Kingdom of God your primary concern. “So don’t be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom. - Luke 12:28-32 NLT'

Isn't that a wonderful promise? If we will accept His provision, we can live 'in the Kingdom' right here and now! Yes, we need not live in a survival mode, scratching an existence and just hoping for Heaven. We can bring Heaven to earth! "God’s kingdom isn’t about eating and drinking. It is about pleasing God, about living in peace, and about true happiness. All this comes from the Holy Spirit. If you serve Christ in this way, you will please God and be respected by people." Romans 14:17-18
____________________

Father, this day I am faced with matters small and issues weighty.Help me to accept the resources offered by You to meet each demand.
Grant me the insight I need to choose wisely to live as your child, and thus,
to make your Kingdom known in a world that is so dark with people
consumed with pettiness and pride.

Forgive me for trying to be a god, and taking the place that is Yours alone!
With the Psalmist I worship...
"O Lord, our Lord, the majesty of your name fills the earth!
Your glory is higher than the heavens.
You have taught children and nursing infants to give you praise.
They silence your enemies who were seeking revenge.
When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers
— the moon and the stars you have set in place—
what are mortals that you should think of us, mere humans that you should care for us?"
(Psalm 8:1-4, NLT)

Oh, Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your name! Amen.

No comments: