Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Richer than Croesus

I woke up today feeling incredibly wealthy. No, I didn't win Mega-Millions. (That would be fun, wouldn't it?) My retirement account has not grown very much, if at all, in this last quarter. My bank account is balanced, but certainly not bulging with excess!

So why am I claiming this great wealth? I was reviewing the portfolio of my inheritance as a son of God. In it there is-
-a title deed to a home in Heaven that is near the River of God, supplied with everything I need for eternal life, and maintenance free.
-a covenant of grace that cancels every debt I owed to God.
-a promise of peace in the middle of every storm, assurance that I'll never walk alone.
-and the guarantee that I'll have all the spiritual resources I need to live a godly life that pleases my Father.

I find that being aware of my 'lack' is much more common than being aware of my supply. When I feed 'needy' - I want this, that, and yet something else. I'm old enough to know that a new car, new clothes, or another faster computer won't end my craving for more, and yet sometimes I fall into the trap of endless desire for more things. Some item causes a fixation in me that blocks my ability to be contented with the things I have which are more, much more, than I actually need.

Then, there those amazing moments like this morning, when the Spirit breaks over me and I realize how very rich I am! The Word exults in this. Take a look.
God has chosen to make known ...the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Colossians 1:27 (NIV)
I want them to have full confidence because they have complete understanding of God’s secret plan, which is Christ himself. In him lie hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Colossians 2:2-3 (NLT)

As we understand the wealth that is at our disposal, the Word says we begin to live selflessly. This most generous God who gives seed to the farmer that becomes bread for your meals is more than extravagant with you. He gives you something you can then give away, which grows into full-formed lives, robust in God, wealthy in every way, so that you can be generous in every way, producing with us great praise to God. 2 Corinthians 9:10-11 (MSG)

Have you opened your heavenly portfolio recently? Have you reviewed the trust account that God, the Father, has established in your name at the expense of His Son, Jesus? Do it. Let the constant nag of need be replaced with a the assurance that, in Him, you have all you need and more. Out of that knowledge of abundance, become a philanthropist who blesses others. Know this - you can't out give God; ever!

God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. 2 Corinthians 9:8 NLT

No comments: