Patience is not one of my strongest traits, and that is an understatement. When I’m stuck in heavy traffic, I grow impatient. When I sit in an office waiting for my appointment to begin, I have to do some mental exercises to stay calm. When the circumstances of life are frustrating me, I want things fixed and orderly – right now!
To me, God speaks this wisdom. "Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." (Psalm 27:14, NIV) He does not always work at the speed at which I desire. He does not always reveal His plans. Yet I am told to ‘wait.’
Sometimes in those seasons when I am waiting, I confess that
other issues enter my life.
My prayers grow colder and more formal.
Scripture is harder to understand.
Worship does not flow from a glad heart, offered more from duty than delight.
As I grow more restless, distractions draw me in many directions.
Thankfully, there is this promise that helps me press through the difficult time. "He gives power to those who are tired and worn out; he offers strength to the weak. Even youths will become exhausted, and young men will give up. But those who wait on the Lord will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint." (Isaiah 40:29-31, NLT) What a paradox. In our anxious desire to see something happen, the answer is not “try harder.” Rather, it is trust Him with patience.
What does it mean to ‘wait on the Lord?’
A key part is the willingness to surrender to His will. The Psalm illustrates
the concept - "Behold, as
the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their masters, and as the eyes of a
maiden unto the hand of her mistress; so, our eyes wait upon the LORD our God,
until that he have mercy upon us." (Psalm 123:2, KJV) Those who worked in a household as
servants stood by, patiently. They were not focused on their own agenda but were
attentive to the desires of another. “So, we wait upon the LORD, our God.”
Waiting on the Lord requires deep faith.
Others may see the choice as laziness or lack of enthusiasm.
Some may claim to have a vision for you, urging you to act now.
Even the first disciples, who had an urgent mission to ‘go
in all the world and preach the Good News’ were told first to wait. There was work
to be done in them before they were ready to serve. It may be
that the Spirit desires to do something IN YOU, building faith, changing your
heart.
Here is what Jesus said to those first disciples about expectantly and patiently
waiting for the Spirit.
"Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised,
which you have heard me speak about." (Acts 1:4, NIV) “Wait,” He said,
“don't rush off, trying to force something to happen while you are only
half-prepared.”
In God's time, the Spirit moved on them. "Suddenly a
sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole
house where they were sitting." (Acts 2:2, NIV) "All of them were
filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit
enabled them." (Acts 2:4, NIV) Those men and women left that Upper
Room, filled with the Spirit, empowered to go and become the foundation of the
Church. Prepared, ready, and effective - changing the world! Let God do what He
needs to do as you wait patiently on Him.
Our word from the Word is a Psalmist's prayer. If you are in a time of waiting –
make it your plea. "I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word
I put my hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the
morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning. O Israel (people of God), put
your hope in the LORD, for with the LORD is unfailing love and with him is full
redemption." (Psalm 130:5-7, NIV)
I will wait on the Lord. Will you?
_______________________________
Video at https://www.youtube.com/@JerScott55

No comments:
Post a Comment