Friday, April 26, 2024

Shaped by Wisdom


The man best known for his declaration -“Give me liberty or give me death!” left another quote that I found interesting.  Near the end of his life, while holding a Bible, Patrick Henry said - “Here is a book worth more than all the other books that were ever printed: yet it is my misfortune never to have found time to read it, with the proper attention and feeling, till lately. I trust in the mercy of heaven, that it is not yet too late.”  I suspect that he is not alone in his neglect of the Holy Scriptures. Even among Christians who may likely own several copies of the Bible, there is often a lack of attention given to reading it.  Many of us read books about the Bible, attend services where passages are read, and listen to sermons that reference the Bible - but we too often fail pick it up to read and learn.

If that describes you I urge you to adopt a new practice-  Read the Word! 

Yes, it can difficult to understand some parts of it without knowing the historical context of the writing. There are passages that collide head-on with our cultural ideals and rationalism that make our minds spin.  But, the Word is God revealing Himself, His ways, His wisdom to us.  The Psalm declares "How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! … Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." (Psalm 119:105, NIV)   That’s not just poetry, it is TRUTH. Those who would grow in grace and wisdom will take time to sit with others to learn and they will pick up their Bible every day to feed the soul.   

At the age of 68, with a life-time of Scripture study and sermonizing behind me, I still read it, finding myself informed, challenged, asking questions, convicted, and shaped by the Bible.  I pray for the Spirit to guide me so that my views, my speech, my values will be aligned to the will of God.

Most basically, the Bible teaches us that we are NOT gods but that there is a God to Whom we can entrust ourselve both in this life and for the life to come.

Regardless of what interpretative mode we use in our understanding of the book of Genesis, we learn from those stories that we are created, not accidential, that the world is formed at God’s word.  In the Gospels we are reminded that God does not stand aloof, but that He is engaged with us, walking with us, offering himself on the Cross for to save us.  The Bible convinces us that He is a loving personal Lord that cares for His people. He teaches us of the sacredness of life itself and directs us to keep a reverence the dignity and personal worth of all people. The Bible’s revelations preserve us, giving us the hope of eternity, teaching us that this present world is the prelude to the 'forever' life that is promised to all of God's children. Eternity, out there on time's horizon and growing closer each day, allows me to live at peace in the turbulence of life’s storms.

I don't have a lot of patience with those who twist the wonderful Word into strange doctrines, who use snippets of the Word to support their pet theories. Few things make me more disturbed than hearing someone 'interpret' the Scripture with little or no real skill or study. It is simply too precious to be misused by charlatans, misquoted by simpletons, or ignored by misguided sophisticates!  Paul encouraged Timothy, a younger pastor, to remember the importance of good teaching. "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15, NKJV) And James held this caution out to those who would take the podium to teach- "Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly." (James 3:1, NIV)

Are you a person of the Word? Don't make the mistake of just owning a Bible and thinking that makes you Biblical! Read it. That’s not a simple assignment. It demands discipline of the mind. But, when we are engaged to understand what God says we will find words of life.  The reward of knowing and doing what the Word teaches is beyond estimation.

There are dozens of guides for our daily readings. At this link (https://www.navigators.org/resource/bible-reading-plans/one ) you will find one that is good and trustworthy. Begin by trusting the Living Word (Jesus) in faith. Pray for the Holy Spirit to open the eyes of your heart. Then go on a journey of discovery - mining the riches of the Scripture for yourself.

If you’re not a reader by nature, try reading along with an audio Bible. There are many that are free online. Here is a great resource. (https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/audio/)

Here is a word from the Word. "You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right. It is God’s way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do." (2 Timothy 3:15-17, NLT)

(Video of this blog at this link)

_____________________________

Thy Word

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet

And a light unto my path

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet

And a light unto my path

 

When I feel afraid

And I think I've lost my way

Still You're there right beside me

Nothing will I fear

As long as You are near

Please be near me to the end

 

I will not forget

Your love for me and yet

My heart forever is wandering

Jesus be my guide

And hold me to Your side

I will love You to the end

 

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet

And a light unto my path

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet

And a light unto my path

 

Amy Grant | Michael W. Smith

© 1984 Meadowgreen Music Company; Curb Word Music

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: