Monday, April 29, 2024

In praise of obscurity


Many of us are tempted to measure our worth, to validate our existence, with external measures: who knows our name, what degrees hang on our wall, how much money is in our bank accounts, the title on the office door, the neighborhood in which live - and that list goes on. That way of life leads us to live inauthentically, tempted to look better than we are, to create an image unmatched by our inner reality. Ever known that temptation?  Some respond by becoming rebels, purposefully marching to the beat of their own drum, defying social order. There is a better way - the way of the servant who lives a quiet life guided by the voice of the Savior. That choice will often lead us along pathways of obscurity.  Is that a bad thing? Let’s consider that in this CoffeeBreak reflection.

Each week I spend a few hours volunteering at the church’s Food Pantry ministry along with around 10 other people- all over 70 years of age - who are incredibly faithful to the work. Several of those volunteers have more than 2 decades of service behind them and they are still going strong. And here’s something noteworthy - they serve out of sight and largely unrecognized. I doubt that 10 people in the church’s congregation could name even three of the people who carry on this work. Their reward is not medals, certificates, or applause. They serve under the approval of the One who commissioned His Church to care for those in need.

For more than three decades, I have gone to nursing homes to conduct worship services for the residents. While serving a congregation in Massachusetts, I went each week to one of our local homes to minister to the residents. I don’t think the congregation even knew about it. The effort did not produce growth in numbers in our local church nor did it add a penny to our offerings. It was just an opportunity to love those who were confined by age or illness and to fulfill the call of Christ in my life. I still go to lead services at a nursing home twice a month on a mid-week afternoon for the joy of serving.

Through the lifetime of pastoral ministry that I was privileged to know, I gave thanks often for the people who financially supported their church, not to get their name etched on a building or to have a room named for them, but simply because of generosity and love for the Lord.  I chose not to know who gave how much so I would resist the temptation to treat donors of large amounts differently from those who gave less. Truthfully I was thankful for each one who gave and prayed that they would sense the importance of the part they had in carrying out the mission of the Kingdom of God.

My friend, there can be great fulfillment found in faithful service that happens behind the scenes, unseen, and unrecognized IF the focus is on Jesus rather than on results or rewards! Most Thursday afternoons I leave the church’s fellowship center with a heart full of happiness, remembering the smiles of those that received some groceries along with a blessing of loving care.  Have you experienced that inner joy from obscure service?

What place of service can you fill in your world, for Christ’s sake? 

You serve your family, perhaps taken for granted, without much thanks. Will you do it with joy? 

You work diligently at your job, patient and encouraging others, maybe feeling like you are pulling the heavier part of the load? Will  you continue to be faithful?

You care for an elderly parent who forgets the cost to you in time and commitment? Do you complain or choose joy?

You serve in some ministry at your church and get overlooked because you are always there and seem to just be part of the fixtures. Will you look higher than applause for your reward?

Listen to Jesus’ wisdom. “Take care! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired, because then you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. When you give a gift to someone in need, don’t shout about it as the hypocrites do—blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I assure you, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone, don’t tell your left hand what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in secret, and your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you. “And now about prayer. When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I assure you, that is all the reward they will ever get." (Matthew 6:1-5, NLT)

Let’s be clear. Nowhere in those words does He tell us not to accept thanks. IF someone offers you thanks, humbly accept it. The Lord speaks to motive. Praise of others is not why we serve. If we do, then when that praise comes, we have received the result we sought. Instead we serve, we give, we pray - for the joy of serving Him. And we know this - He NEVER forgets and promises that our investment of time and effort  in the Kingdom will find rich rewards in eternity.

Give yourself to Christ today. Let go of the need to be recognized and find the joy that can be discovered in the contentment of obscurity.

Here’s a word from the Word. Jesus says “If any of you wants to be my follower you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me. If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will find true life." (Mark 8:34-35, NLT)

(Video of this blog at this link)

_____________________________

Only Jesus

“Make it count” “Leave a mark”
“Build a name for yourself”
“Dream your dreams”
"chase your heart above all else"
“Make a name the world remembers”

But all an empty world can sell is empty dreams
I got lost in the light when it was up to me
To make a name the world remembers
But Jesus is the only name to remember

And I I don't want to leave a legacy
I don't care if they remember me
Only Jesus

And I I've only got one life to live
I'll let every second point to Him
Only Jesus

All the kingdoms built all the trophies won
Will crumble into dust when it's said and done
'Cause all that really matters

Did I live the truth to the ones I love
Was my life the proof that there is only One
Whose name will last forever

Jesus is the only name
Jesus is the only name
Jesus is the only name to remember

I I don't want to leave a legacy
I don't care if they remember me
Only Jesus

Bernie Herms | Mark Hall | Matthew West

© Get Ur Seek On; House of Story Music Publishing; My Refuge Music; Matthew West (Combustion); Remaining portion is unaffiliated

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: