Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Your Resource?


Today, as you do whatever it is you do, from what or whom will you seek security? What is your richest resource?  For some, the balance in their bank account is important. And let’s acknowledge the obvious- having enough money to secure our home, our transportation, our food is comforting. For others security is found in their relationship with another.  When I was a child, nothing made me feel more secure than standing next to my Dad!  Perhaps for you it is a spouse or a close friend that gives you a sense of well-being. Some trust their skills, others find safety in their home, still others build a reputation that provides their foundation.

There is a resource for the child of God that is inexhaustible, eternal, and available to everyone: God Himself!

In a complex story in Genesis, God asks Abraham to take a trip to Mt. Moriah to do a sacrifice. Isaac, his son, accompanies him on the journey and wonders aloud where the sacrificial lamb is. “Dad, we have fire, we have wood, but where is the lamb?” What the boy does not know is that he is to be offered on that altar. Yes, the story is hard for me to fully understand, but the ending is where I want us to focus today. “Lay down the knife,” the angel said. “Do not hurt the boy in any way, for now I know that you truly fear God. You have not withheld even your beloved son from me.” Then Abraham looked up and saw a ram caught by its horns in a bush. So he took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering on the altar in place of his son. Abraham named the place “The Lord Will Provide.” (YHWH Yireh)" (Genesis 22:12-14, NLT)

At a moment of 'impossibility' the father of the faithful found the true resource – and named Him, “The LORD, my Provider.”   If you know more of Abraham’s story you will remember that when he made God his resource, he lived in blessings.  When he tried to take care of his own needs in his own way results were awful.

God desires to be our Resource for every need. In the story of Creation, we find that He made this world to be a place of abundance where every need of every person should be met. Human sin- greed, selfishness, exploitation – destroys the balance and creates poverty of spirit and body.  But, when we align ourselves with His way and will, we discover that He is for us, like Abraham, our Provider!

When Paul traveled the empire of Rome to share the message of Jesus – he lived in faith. His testimony is this - "this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19, NLT)

Let’s not make the mistake of thinking of ‘resources’ only in terms of wealth. That is a major temptation of our material culture that loves money above most all else. God’s provision is for the whole person. He provides salvation for the sinful, peace for the anxious, love to the unloved, an identity for those who are without ‘place.’  And yes, He can be trusted to provide what we need.  Knowing the difference between what I need and what I think I need can be a real challenge. 

How easily I confuse ‘I want that’ with ‘I need that.’ 
Does that happen to you, too?

The word from the Word today is Jesus’ reminder of our Resources found in the Father.  These words are taken from His sermon on the mount and I have used a contemporary paraphrase called The Message to help us to think them through. May the Spirit give us faith and understanding so that we will live richly in our Father’s love. Jesus, speaking of God’s care for birds and flowers goes on to say -  

 "What I’m trying to do here is to get you to relax,
to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God’s giving.
People who don’t know God and the way he works
fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works.
 

Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions.
Don’t worry about missing out.
You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.

(Matthew 6:31-33, The Message)   Lord, increase our faith.

 (Video of this blog at this link)

____________________

Goodness Of God (CeCe Winans does this anthem so well. Be blessed!)

I love You Lord

Oh Your mercy never fails me

All my days

I've been held in Your hands

From the moment that I wake up

Until I lay my head

I will sing of the goodness of God

 

All my life You have been faithful

All my life You have been so so good

With every breath that I am able

I will sing of the goodness of God

 

I love Your voice

You have led me through the fire

In darkest night

You are close like no other

I've known You as a father

I've known You as a friend

I have lived in the goodness of God

 

Your goodness is running after

It’s running after me

Your goodness is running after

It’s running after me

With my life laid down

I’m surrendered now

I give You everything

Your goodness is running after

It's running after me

 

Ben Fielding | Brian Johnson | Ed Cash | Jason Ingram | Jenn Johnson

© 2018 Capitol CMG Paragon; SHOUT! Music Publishing Australia; Fellow Ships Music; So Essential Tunes; Bethel Music Publishing

CCLI License # 810055

 

No comments: