Friday, July 28, 2023

The Best!


Wednesday, feeling great after surgery and a long hospital stay, I got out my Miata, put the top down and drove, soaking up the sunshine. I didn’t care who could hear me singing! As I gave thanks, it came to me that the joy I was experiencing was about my present state, my sense of well-being. It is good to give thanks.   

It is true that my life overflows with good things – a comfortable home, my amazing and great children, loving friends, resources beyond my needs, food in abundance, a sense of safety and security. However, these are not the greatest of my blessings.  As my recent brush with mortality revealed again, this earthly existence will end one of these days. Someone else will live in my house, spend my money, and drive my convertible.

What is the best of all, the center of my joy?

Paul expressed it profoundly in these words -"a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." (Romans 3:21-24, NIV)   

 When Jesus’ disciples experienced spiritual authority, they were excited. He pointed them to their best treasure - "The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.” He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”" (Luke 10:17-20, NIV)

Do not misunderstand me. The privilege of living a good life is not to be overlooked or taken for granted. With those blessings come the responsibility of stewardship, using the opportunities to help others, to be the hands of Jesus in a world of need.  A person will not necessarily be ‘more spiritual’ or pleasing to God if he suffers greatly or lives with deprivation. 

As the blessed children of God, we are commissioned by Jesus to advocate for the poor, to care for the sick, to comfort the dying, to work for justice, and to share what we have with others.  I cannot read the whole of the Bible without concluding that it is good to live securely, with plenty. But, even when hardship comes, when unexplained suffering overwhelms – there is a blessing that is available to all – the promise of being God’s own child, with an eternal home prepared with Him!

Rejoice that your names are written in heaven!”  Let that phrase fill up your mind, inspiring your emotions today. Make that fact the center of your joy.  And don’t forget that you cannot be moral enough, dutiful enough, selfless enough, or churchy enough – to gain that relationship. God gives this gift to us through the work of His Son, Christ Jesus, because of grace. It cannot be earned, only received by faith.  Trust Him this day. Breath a simple prayer – “Christ Jesus, thank you, for the gift of Your ‘righteousness’ that makes me a child of God who lives without shame, guilt, or fear of the future. Amen.”  Then, rejoice in the best of blessings.

Here is a word from the Word -
"I ask him to strengthen you by his Spirit
—not a brute strength but a glorious inner strength—

that Christ will live in you as you open the door and invite him in.
And I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love,
you’ll be able to take in with all followers of Jesus the extravagant dimensions of Christ’s love.

Reach out and experience the breadth!
Test its length!
Plumb the depths!\
Rise to the heights!
Live full lives, full in the fullness of God.
" (Ephesians 3:16-19, The Message)


(Video of this blog at this link)

____________________

Who Am I

Who am I that the Lord of all the earth

Would care to know my name

Would care to feel my hurt

Who am I that the Bright and Morning Star

Would choose to light the way

For my ever wand'ring heart

 

Not because of who I am

But because of what You've done

Not because of what I've done

But because of who You are

 

I am a flower quickly fading

Here today and gone tomorrow

A wave tossed in the ocean

A vapor in the wind

Still You hear me when I'm calling

Lord You catch me when I'm falling

And You've told me who I am

I am Yours

 

Who am I that the eyes that see my sin

Would look on me with love

And watch me rise again

Who am I that the voice that calmed the sea

Would call out through the rain

And calm the storm in me

 

Mark Hall

© 2003 Be Essential Songs; My Refuge Music

CCLI License # 810055

 

No comments: