Monday, June 19, 2023

Represent Him well

Antony Blinken, the United States Secretary of State, is in China meeting with leaders of that nation. His is a diplomatic mission in which he speaks as an authorized representative of the United States. This weekend his primary charge was to attempt to settle major issues that stand in the way of a peaceful relationship. His words reflect official policies of a nation! What a responsibility. 

In Beijing there an embassy of the US. Though in the heart of China the embassy is United States territory.  Walking the corridors of that building you would hear English spoken, see pictures of the American President on the wall, and see the US flag flying over the property – because that embassy is there to represent the interests of the United States in China!

Reflecting on that China mission I began to think about Christians and churches. 
We are ambassadors and our churches are embassies of the Kingdom of our God here in this world.

Ponder that first fact with me. God has authorized and empowered you and me, Spirit-filled Christians, to speak on His behalf. As that sinks into my mind it sobers and excites me, both at the same time. It is an awesome responsibility with real consequences for the world in which I live and it is an amazing privilege to represent my King. 

Paul teaches this fact with these words: "For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. This is the wonderful message he has given us to tell others. We are Christ’s ambassadors, and God is using us to speak to you. We urge you, as though Christ himself were here pleading with you, “Be reconciled to God!” (2 Corinthians 5:19-20, NLT)  Our primary message is not “you are terrible sinners who are enemies of God and good.”  We announce that peace with God is possible!  We share the truth that God loves, forgives, and desires to restore us to Himself as beloved sons and daughters.

Secretary Blinken has no authority of his own. He is only able to speak with high level Chinese government officials because he is credentialed by the President of the United States. God credentials you and me to make His appeal to others. Ponder this – are you representing Christ Jesus well?  Do your words and actions reflect your love and loyalty to Him.

I am so thankful that none of us has to try to do this work alone or solely by our own resources. The Holy Spirit lives in us. He counsels us, teaches us, empowers us. Jesus promises "But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." (John 14:26, NIV)  Take time to be quiet before Him, to let His wisdom and will becomes yours. Then, you are ready to represent Him as a faithful ambassador.

The word from the Word reminds that not all who claim the Name of Christ are true ambassadors of the heavenly Kingdom. "For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ. Their future is eternal destruction. Their god is their appetite, they brag about shameful things, and all they think about is this life here on earth. But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior." (Philippians 3:18-20, NLT)

Lord, help us to represent You well. Amen

(Video of this blog at this link)

____________________

Yet Not I But Through Christ In Me

What gift of grace is Jesus my redeemer
There is no more for heaven now to give
He is my joy my righteousness and freedom
My steadfast love my deep and boundless peace

To this I hold my hope is only Jesus
For my life is wholly bound to his
Oh how strange and divine I can sing all is mine
Yet not I but through Christ in me

The night is dark but I am not forsaken
For by my side the Saviour he will stay
I labour on in weakness and rejoicing
For in my need his power is displayed

To this I hold my Shepherd will defend me
Through the deepest valley he will lead
Oh the night has been won and I shall overcome
Yet not I but through Christ in me

No fate I dread I know I am forgiven
The future sure the price it has been paid
For Jesus bled and suffered for my pardon
And he was raised to overthrow the grave

To this I hold my sin has been defeated
Jesus now and ever is my plea
Oh the chains are released I can sing I am free
Yet not I but through Christ in me


With every breath I long to follow Jesus
For he has said that he will bring me home
And day by day I know he will renew me
Until I stand with joy before the throne

To this I hold my hope is only Jesus
All the glory evermore to him
When the race is complete still my lips shall repeat
Yet not I but through Christ in me

When the race is complete still my lips shall repeat
Yet not I but through Christ in me
Yet not I but through Christ in me


Jonny Robinson | Michael Farren | Rich Thompson

© 2018 CityAlight Music (Admin. by Integrity Music)

Farren Love And War Publishing (Admin. by Integrity Music)

Integrity's Alleluia! Music (Admin. by Integrity Music)

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: