Friday, March 03, 2023

Saved completely!

 

Just a few days ago in Jerusalem the Communion elements were prepared for us in a room steps away from a Tomb where some believe the body of Jesus was laid. Our voices raised in song, “In Christ alone, my hope is found …”  We took the Bread and Cup and the sweet Presence of the Spirit swept over us. “The One who knows you best, loves you most” were my words as we lifted the Cup of Covenant to drink together.

In that moment, my voice was silenced, tears flowed, and Jesus’ words filled up my thoughts – “It is finished!”   The story of the Cross and Resurrection is ancient, yet it remains for us the “Gospel,” the good news of our hope of reconciliation with our Father, of our invitation to come confidently before Him in worship, of our assurance of life eternal.

"When He had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, He bowed his head and gave up His spirit." (John 19:30, NIV)  This is not a record of resignation or defeat. It is a declaration of victory, the plan of God fulfilled, the salvation of the world assured – It IS finished!  The final proof was Resurrection morning when He emerged from the grave, the evidence that sin and death did not have the last word.

My friend do you live in the ‘finished work’ of Jesus?

Are you still trying, by your own efforts, to find some peace with God?

Meditate on this Word which is a bold statement that tears down the religious lie that we can be ‘good enough’ for God through our own efforts. "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.” (Romans 1:16-18, NIV) Christ Jesus has done, completely, for us what we could not hope to do for ourselves.  

Once we were enemies of God,  but "now he has brought you back as his friends. He has done this through his death on the cross in his own human body. As a result, he has brought you into the very presence of God, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault. But you must continue to believe this truth and stand in it firmly. Don’t drift away from the assurance you received when you heard the Good News." (Colossians 1:22-23, NLT)

Am I completely blameless, innocent of sins against God or others?  Of course not! I fail often, acting lovelessly and/or selfishly. I sometimes find myself more attached to my stuff than to the things of God, distracted in worship. And that is exactly the reason that I need a Savior who does on my behalf what I cannot do for myself. He declares that because of what HE has done, because “it is finished,” that I can truthfully say, “I am holy, blameless!”  That fact does not make less of my sin, nor yours; it makes MORE of God’s grace.

This Friday carry this word from the Word with you. Understand that this truth rests on Jesus’ own declaration of the finished work of the Cross. Live in joy! "So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. For the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you through Christ Jesus from the power of sin that leads to death. The law of Moses could not save us, because of our sinful nature. But God put into effect a different plan to save us. He sent his own Son in a human body like ours, except that ours are sinful. God destroyed sin’s control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins." (Romans 8:1-3, NLT)  It is finished!

(Video of this blog at this link)

____________________

In Christ Alone

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light my strength my song
This Cornerstone this solid Ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love what depths of peace
When fears are stilled when strivings cease
My Comforter my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save
Till on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
Till He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand

 

Keith Getty | Stuart Townend

© 2001 Thankyou Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: