Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Peace, please?


 About 75% of Americans now respond to the question, “Is America moving in the right or wrong direction?” with the answer, “Wrong!”  It’s not just ‘the news’ that is troubling us. We are all dealing with some level of personal uncertainty. The last decade brought us change at a pace unmatched in the last 50 years, leaving us unsettled about the future.   

Are you familiar with the Allstate™ insurance company’s advertising featuring a character named ‘Mayhem?’ Mayhem comes on screen, beaten up, a bandage or two, with a sly and threatening smile on his face.  He tells about the risk then creates a disaster for a driver who is just going about life. Of course, being good adverting the ad closes with an appeal to buy insurance from Allstate, rather than some cheaper policy that won’t give the right coverage. Dennis Dexter Haysbert’s rich baritone voice asks, “Are you in good hands?”  

Is Mayhem running around in your life?  Having good insurance coverage is a start. But, true serenity requires much more than a good policy for health, auto, or home!

Quite intentionally I took last Sunday’s benediction (literally ‘good word’) that closed our worship from Jude.  There we learn of God’s promised care:  "To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen." (Jude 24-25, NIV)  

No matter how well we think that we have prepared for life, mayhem will show up - crises brought on by accident, temptation, storm, unpredictable people.  Some of the situations we create for ourselves with poor choices, short-term thinking, or lack of wisdom. Others just ‘show up’ brought to us by things over which we have no control.  Some have no discernable ‘why.’    

No wonder anxiety is so common.  What is anxiety?  It is that static in our minds that keeps us on edge, awake in the night, and that can lead to depression.  It is a natural response to danger that serves us well when we are truly threatened.  It turns into a curse when it gets stuck in the ‘on’ position!  I said it’s common.  Mental health statistics reveal that about 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men deal with serious anxiety in America right now.

Christian, God offers us the promise of His peace.
He says to us “I am able to keep you!”   When Jesus was facing the Cross, about to leave the disciples, He reminded them - “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. … Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 14:1, 27, NIV)  When Mayhem shows up, we have a choice even better than pulling out our insurance policies; we can lean on the Lord, taking Him at His word. I have said a thousand times, but hear it again. He does not take us out of the trials and troubles, but He does walk with us through them. 

Soak your mind in this word of faith from the ancient preacher, Isaiah, who spoke under inspiration of the Spirit. " But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; … you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you.” (Isaiah 43:1-4, NIV)

“Tell God … “  Your prayers do not have to be shaped with the precision of a legal document, with the eloquence of a polished speech, or like a poem. Just talk with God. Share your heart. Present yourself, your concerns, your needs – to Him, with a thankful heart. Remind yourself of Who He is, what He has done, and of His promises.  You are in good hands!

May this word from the Word drive anxious thoughts from your mind, allowing the peace of the Lord to fill you.
 "And now, all glory to God, who is able to keep you from stumbling,
and who will bring you into his glorious presence innocent of sin and with great joy.
All glory to him, who alone is God our Savior,
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Yes, glory, majesty, power, and authority belong to him, in the beginning, now, and forevermore. Amen
." (Jude 24-25, NLT)

(Video of this blog at this link)

_______________

Way Maker

You are here moving in our midst
I worship You I worship You
You are here working in this place
I worship You I worship You

(You are)
Way Maker
Miracle Worker
Promise Keeper
Light in the darkness

my God that is who You are

You are here touching ev'ry heart
I worship You I worship You
You are here healing ev'ry heart
I worship You I worship You

You are here turning lives around
I worship You I worship You
You are here mending ev'ry heart
I worship You yeah I worship You Lord

That is who You are
That is who You are
That is who You are
That is who You are

Even when I don't see it You're working
Even when I don't feel it You're working
You never stop You never stop working
You never stop You never stop working

Osinachi Kalu Okoro Egbu

© 2016 Integrity Music Europe (Admin. by Integrity Music)

CCLI License # 810055

 

 

No comments: