Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Knowing YOU, Jesus

 

He could tell you about the first flight of the Wright Brothers in Kitty Hawk, NC. He could talk at length about aerodynamics. He knew details about prop driven planes, jets, small aircraft, and military planes. He described airports around the world, those with the best features, those that were challenging for pilots. But, he had never been on an airplane.

No, I don’t know this person. He is a creation of my imagination who illustrates a kind of individual that does exist. There are those who lay claim to being “Christian” who are able to talk about church history, Bible stories and doctrines, theology, and church architecture in great detail. Yet, they do not live the Christian life nor apparently do they know the Savior, Jesus Christ.

A phrase in Paul’s 2nd letter to Timothy captured my thoughts today.  He speaks of those who  have "a form of godliness” while “denying its power.” (2 Timothy 3:5, NIV)  Another translation says it this way: “They will act as if they are religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly.”   Let that sink in and before you project the words onto someone else, take an inward look!

One pastor wonders “if the celebrities who advertise foods and beverages actually consume what they are selling. … This is a pressing issue for those of us who speak for Christ.  Are we, perhaps not eating what we are selling … or is what we are ‘selling’ completely irrelevant to our actual existence without power or influence in our daily life?”  (The Divine Conspiracy)

When we trust Christ Jesus, when we receive His grace and goodness, when we surrender the core of our being to Him,  He gives us the life of the Spirit Who begins a process of change and healing.  One of my favorite passages in the Old Testament is rich with promise.  The LORD says that He will "provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor." (Isaiah 61:3, NIV)  How beautiful is the person who lives this life. They are not perfect, but they are at peace, loving and forgiving, spilling over with the refreshing ‘living water’ of which Jesus spoke.

Isaiah goes on in the same chapter to speak in the voice of those who are God’s own. "I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. For as the soil makes the sprout come up and a garden causes seeds to grow, so the Sovereign Lord will make righteousness and praise spring up before all nations." (Isaiah 61:10-11, NIV)

My friend, would you join me in a prayer that seeks the Savior, that desires the Spirit’s life above all else?  This makes a new kind of life possible, on where the “beauty of His holiness” is evident.  

This is not the ‘religious, self-focused, rule-bound holiness’ that some demand of others.  That is not true holiness. It is a built around rigid regulations of human behavior. Jesus spoke to some religious leaders of His day who specialized in external forms of ‘holiness’  in scathing terms.  He told them that they were “whitewashed tombs!”   

He went on to condemn every part of their supposed devotion. "Their lives are perpetual fashion shows, embroidered prayer shawls one day and flowery prayers the next. They love to sit at the head table at church dinners, basking in the most prominent positions, … You’re hopeless, you religion scholars and Pharisees! Frauds! You keep meticulous account books, tithing on every nickel and dime you get, but on the meat of God’s Law, things like fairness and compassion and commitment—the absolute basics!—you carelessly take it or leave it. Careful bookkeeping is commendable, but the basics are required." (Matthew 23:5-6, 23, The Message)

Are you tired of religion? Are you worn out by endless attempts to be better than you are inside?  The answer is Jesus!  He says  “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (John 10:7-10, NIV) 

Trust Him. Lean on Him. He is our Salvation!  I pray your faith will be made rich by this word from the Word. "Because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them. Such a high priest meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens." (Hebrews 7:24-26, NIV)  Let’s not just talk about Jesus, let’s know Him and live the life He gives.

(Video of this blog at this link)

_______________ 

Jireh

(the word is a Name for God given by Abraham when God provided (Jireh) the lamb needed for sacrifice)


I'll never be more loved than I am right now
Wasn't holding You up
So there's nothing I can do to let You down
It doesn't take a trophy to make You proud
I'll never be more loved than I am right now

Going through a storm but I won't go down
I hear Your voice carried in the rhythm of the wind
To call me out
You would cross an ocean so I wouldn't drown
You've never been closer than You are right now

 Jireh You are enough
Jireh You are enough
I will be content in every circumstance
Jireh You are enough

Forever enough
Always enough
More than enough

I don't wanna forget how I feel right now
On the mountaintop
I can see so clear what it's all about
Stay by my side when the sun goes down
Don't wanna forget how I feel right now

 I'm already loved
I'm already chosen
I know who I am
I know what You've spoken
I'm already loved
More than I could imagine
And that is enough

If He dresses the lilies with beauty and splendor
How much more will He clothe you
How much more will He clothe you
If He watches over every sparrow
How much more does He love you
How much more does He love you

How much more does He love you 

More than you ask think or imagine
According to His power working in us
It's more than enough

It's more than enough

 

Chandler Moore | Chris Brown | Naomi Raine | Steven Furtick

© For Humans Publishing (Admin by Essential Music Publishing)

Maverick City Publishing (Admin by Essential Music Publishing)

Heritage Worship Music Publishing (Admin. by Bethel Music Publishing)

Music by Elevation Worship Publishing (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)

Naomi Raine Music (Admin. by Heritage Worship Publishing)

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: