Friday, April 29, 2022

Give Us Our Daily Bread


When I walk the aisles of the local supermarket, shopping for my weekly groceries and household items, I often reflect on the abundance that surrounds me with gratitude. One long aisle contains dozens of varieties of snack items. Another holds 14 kinds of pastas of various shapes.  Beautiful fresh produce fills the front of the market with healthy options. The physical shape of too many of us reveal our indulgence, consumption of too many calories that expands our waistline and threatens our health.  

How should we manage our abundance?
What is our attitude about the ‘stuff’ that is available to us?
 
Those questions form my thoughts in this CoffeeBreak.

Jesus taught us to pray – “give us today our daily bread” – and He was teaching us about much more than just asking for tonight’s supper. We pray that phrase hopefully as we recognize that God is our resource and with understanding of what it means to say ‘enough.’  Yes, Christian, if we would live in the promise of God’s peace and with contentment, we will pray “give us today our daily bread” with earnestness! 

I have memorized a passage from Proverbs that parallels Jesus’ prayer: "Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." (Proverbs 30:8-9, NIV) 

The Old Testament of God’s deliverance of the Israelites from slavery in Egypt is a lesson for us in our journey from slavery to Self to fullness of life in Christ.  God promised those people that He would fully resource them on their journey. When they had a need, all they had to do was ask! For their daily food He gave them "manna" - bread from His hand. Each morning they found white flakes on the ground, which they prepared as their food. They were told only to gather what they needed for that day. He told them  No one is to keep any of it until the next morning.”  Being human, some of them ignored that direction and learned the hard way. They found their storage full of maggots and stinking except for the Day before Sabbath, when they could gather 2 days provision and it did not spoil.

I like to think that living with that kind of daily provision would cause me to be full of thanksgiving and contented. But, the story of the Israelites is too familiar.  They soon grew unhappy, complaining!  "The Israelites began to crave the good things of Egypt, and the people of Israel also began to complain. "Oh, for some meat!" they exclaimed. "We remember all the fish we used to eat for free in Egypt. And we had all the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions, and garlic that we wanted. But now our appetites are gone, and day after day we have nothing to eat but this manna!" (Numbers 11:4-6, NLT) It was never enough.

When the Lord provides for all of our needs – giving us our daily bread - our prayers will include genuine thankfulness that recognizes that He is good and that what He provides is best.  Oh, yes, He is a generous Father who promises His children the desires of their hearts. Key to understanding that is knowing the changed desires of a Spirit-filled heart. The trinkets that make the temporary treasures of this world lose their shiny attraction when our hearts love God, desiring to live in His provisions with joy.

Are you contented with what He provides and where He leads?
We honor Him and joyfully say: "Yes, Lord, I receive what You've  provided."  

Are you blessed with abundance?
Enjoy it and share it.

Are you in a lean season?
Trust Him "and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern." (Matthew 6:33, NLT)

The word from the Word is a reminder that "godliness with contentment is great gain."  "A devout life does bring wealth, but it's the rich simplicity of being yourself before God. Since we entered the world penniless and will leave it penniless, if we have bread on the table and shoes on our feet, that's enough." (1 Timothy 6:6-8)   Lord, give us today our daily bread. Amen

(Video of this blog at this link)

_______________

Goodness Of God

(Let CeCe Winans lift you into God’s Presence)

I love You Lord
Oh Your mercy never fails me
All my days
I've been held in Your hands
From the moment that I wake up
Until I lay my head
I will sing of the goodness of God
 

All my life You have been faithful
All my life You have been so so good
With every breath that I am able
I will sing of the goodness of God

I love Your voice
You have led me through the fire
In darkest night
You are close like no other
I've known You as a father
I've known You as a friend
I have lived in the goodness of God

Your goodness is running after
It’s running after me
Your goodness is running after
It’s running after me
With my life laid down
I’m surrendered now
I give You everything
Your goodness is running after
It's running after me

Ben Fielding | Brian Johnson | Ed Cash | Jason Ingram | Jenn Johnson
© 2018 Capitol CMG Paragon (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
SHOUT! Music Publishing Australia (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

CCLI License # 810055

 

No comments: