Monday, April 04, 2022

Eternity

Yesterday, the lesson for my Awana students was about Eternity.  We talked about sand castles on the beach erased by the waves as the tide comes in an illustration of the impermanence of life in this world.  I spoke of the hope we find in God’s love guiding us through our days so we are ready to step into eternity. Heavy stuff for 5th and 6th graders, isn’t it? That lesson was brought into sharp focus when I, on the way home, went to the home of an older woman from the church to check on her and found that she had stepped into eternity some days previous.  Do you consider Eternity, my friend?

Pondering the brevity of life and recognizing the shifting sands of our existence we could fall into despair! 
Or, we could take the way of those who choose to ‘eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die.’  

Solomon’s Ecclesiastes can be a difficult part of Scripture to understand. That rich king forgot eternity and made life about building great cities, gaining great wealth, and indulging every sensual pleasure.  When advancing age no longer allowed him to ignore mortality, he looked at his life and saw only emptiness. "When I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun." (Ecclesiastes 2:11, NIV)  

He did not suggest that we defer all living to some time beyond our present world. That famous part of his book says "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." (Ecclesiastes 3:1, NIV)  Yes, we can find joy in our successes, in family, in accomplishments great and small – and we should.  

But, his conclusion is great wisdom. "Don’t let the excitement of youth cause you to forget your Creator. Honor him in your youth before you grow old and no longer enjoy living. … Here is my final conclusion: Fear God and obey his commands, for this is the duty of every person. God will judge us for everything we do, including every secret thing, whether good or bad." (Ecclesiastes 12:1, 13-14, NLT)

Christian, as we conclude the season of Lent, a time of reflection in our lives, we begin to look toward the empty Tomb and the bedrock hope assured by the Resurrection of Christ Jesus, our Lord.  This is the great hope of life.  We enjoy the best life possible in this temporal world when we live in the light of Eternity, our choices framed by the fact that these brief years will be followed by a timeless existence in the Presence of God.

A Christianity that remembers Heaven and Eternity will be richer, right now in this world! Paul writes "if we have hope in Christ only for this life, we are the most miserable people in the world. But the fact is that Christ has been raised from the dead. He has become the first of a great harvest of those who will be raised to life again." (1 Corinthians 15:19-20, NLT)

Are you tempted by despair as you realize just how quickly life is passing?

Are you tempted to try to create immortality with grand schemes?

Choose instead to know, love, and serve Christ Jesus who is the proof of Eternity, Who has opened the way from death to life.  Receive the gift of eternal life and make His Way your way today.

The word from the Word encourages us.  We can live as eternal creatures, entering into life without end – even now in this world that is passing away. That’s no riddle. It is a fact! "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” For sin is the sting that results in death, and the law gives sin its power. How we thank God, who gives us victory over sin and death through Jesus Christ our Lord! So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and steady, always enthusiastic about the Lord’s work, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless." (1 Corinthians 15:55-58, NLT)

(Video of this blog at this link)

______________

Be Thou My Vision (Slane)

(Selah sings this beautiful, heart-felt prayer. Pray along with their song)

Be Thou my vision
O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me
Save that Thou art
Thou my best thought
By day or by night
Waking or sleeping
Thy presence my light

Be Thou my wisdom
Be Thou my true Word
I ever with Thee
And Thou with me Lord
Thou my great Father
I Thy true son
Thou in me dwelling
And I with Thee one

High King of heaven
When vict'ry is won
May I reach heaven's joys
O bright heaven's Sun
Heart of my own heart
Whatever befall
Still be my vision
O Ruler of all

Eleanor Henrietta Hull | Mary Elizabeth Byrne
© Words: Public Domain

 

No comments: