Friday, February 25, 2022

Working With Jesus

 


War!  The images of people’s faces full of fear, of masses huddled in subways, of destruction wrought by missiles replay in my mind. As I lay in my bed, in my warm home, safe and secure I could not simply lay aside the suffering that war’s brutality is bringing to this world. Early this morning, as I was praying, while there was thankfulness for my blessings there was great sadness.

"Jerry, why emphasize the sorrow? Why not look on the bright side?"  If we allow ourselves to look on evil, on suffering, on pain, those things can be a catalyst for prayer and engagement with need. Where we see the evidence of people who are feeling the effect of the Curse of sin, we cannot just pull the curtains of our mind and ignore their reality.

I will not, in spite of my own overflowing cup of privilege, pretend that all is well.  We are, dear Christian, commissioned to be agents of the Savior, messengers of hope, practitioners of peace for those under the weight of the Evil One. Jesus’ work is our work. Like Him, we must be willing let our hearts be broken by human need – both near and far.

We do not carry the weight alone! We need not collapse in despair.  I will go to the One who gives me this invitation - "Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light.” (Matthew 11:29-30, NLT)   

Called to work with Him, we need not get worked up, weighed down, or worn out by the effort-  because He is yoked with us, showing us how to do His work effectively.   Ah, that does not mean we escape all sorrow or effort. Jesus was Himself a man well acquainted with the sorrows of humanity, but He was renewed by His Father as He engaged in the work. So we can know the daily infusion of the Spirit’s hope and strength, IF we turn to Him and stand with Him in the yoke of service.

Sometimes I wonder if I can make a difference, if efforts to love in His Name will change anything, if my prayers are bouncing off of the ceiling of my room.  Yes, I admit that the mission of compassion can seem to be a fool's attempt to hold back a tidal wave of human suffering. But I know that I am in the service of the One who has overcome the world

I have read the end of the Book, and I know that in the end He will vanquish evil, wipe away the tears, and invite us into the Kingdom of Light and so I want to be about His work even while I patiently and faithfully pray – “Your Kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.”

Let’s work with Jesus, not just for Him. As we join Him in the yoke, we can engage ourselves with those who suffer, even when it makes us weep! We are sustained by this wonderful promise-  ". . . they stand in front of God's throne and serve him day and night in his Temple. And he who sits on the throne will give them shelter. They will never again be hungry or thirsty; they will never be scorched by the heat of the sun. For the Lamb on the throne will be their Shepherd. He will lead them to springs of life-giving water. And God will wipe every tear from their eyes." (Revelation 7:15-17, NLT)

As I close this thought, I turn to a Psalm of Lament, the 73rd, where we find these words that encourage us to hope. "I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds." (Psalm 73:22-28, NIV)

(Video of this blog at this link)

______________

 My Dwelling Place (Psalm 91)
(A Psalm of worship and comfort.
May it lift you to worship today.)

My dwelling place is God Most High
My refuge and my fortress
When plague and pestilence draw nigh
I’m hidden in His presence
When terrors fall and arrows fly
His shield will be my safety
When stones across my pathway lie
On angels’ wings I’m carried
 

My dwelling place is God Most High
A present help in danger
I rest secure in Love’s pure light
Beneath My Master’s favor
He freed me from the fowler’s snare
Where sin and shame had bound me
Deceived I made my refuge there
Till fearless He came for me

Wonderful powerful my hope and my defender
Mighty God Emmanuel my dwelling place forever
 

My dwelling place is God Most High
I’ll never seek another
For I am His and He is mine
My heart He’ll keep forever
I know the Name on Whom I call
He promises to answer
With life he satisfies my soul
And crowns me with his pleasure

Chris Eaton | Keith Getty | Kelly Meredith Minter | Kristyn Getty | Stuart Townend
© 2015, 2018 Getty Music Hymns and Songs (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.)

Getty Music Publishing (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.)
Townend Songs (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.)

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: