Friday, September 17, 2021

Following Fools?

 


“We follow the science.” This is the new mantra of those who are directing our lives in this brave new world. Make no mistake: I am grateful for scientific knowledge, glad for those who study and discover the many things that make our lives so much healthier, longer, and more comfortable. But, what of those contradicting messages? What about that human pride that confuses ‘I believe this is the best course of action,’ with ‘This is the only choice that is right,’ because of bias and/or larger political agendas?  When we find out that what we were told in the name of ‘science’ is an opinion dressed up in the language of certainty, our trust evaporates.

We are overwhelmed with dozens of messages every day. TV talking heads tell us what to think about a range of options from politics to economics to religion. Politicians require blind submission to their orders while warning about the dire effects that non-compliance will have for the world.  In between those declarations, we live with 30 second messages designed to get us to drive a Volva, shop at Target, buy insurance from Geico, and take the newest medicine from big pharma. On top of this, throw in the podcasts from our favorite influencers, the blogs we read on the ‘net, and the daily conversations with friends and family.  Do you, like me, find that the often conflicting messages are disorienting?  Do you find yourself sometimes feeling a near irrational anger in the confusion?

How do we evaluate all this information?
How do we make the right choices?

True wisdom starts with a humble acknowledgement of God. This eternal wisdom is worthy: The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." (Proverbs 9:10, NIV)  If we choose to become our own god, if we believe that the great minds of the world can save us, we have trusted in a lie. The 'wise' sometimes are revealed as fools.  Last year's 'truth' is too often replaced by this year's discoveries. 

Dr. David Wells wrote that when we turn from a God-centered life to a man-centered one, "everything drifts apart. It begins to resemble confetti - a myriad of experiences, none of which is related to the others..... and which can mean anything. The human being becomes 'homeless' adrift in a world that is beyond comprehension." (Above All Earthly Pow'rs, Eerdmans, 2005)

Christian, are you living humbly?
Do you live with a healthy awe of the Majesty of God, your ways submitted to Him, your choices subject to His re-direction?

King Solomon knew great success and found many pleasures in this world.  In the course of his life, he ignored God and trusted in his own intellect and accomplishments.  He became a cynic. " I had everything a man could desire! So I became greater than all who had lived in Jerusalem before me, and my wisdom never failed me. ... But as I looked at everything I had worked so hard to accomplish, it was all so meaningless—like chasing the wind. . . . This is all so meaningless!" (Ecclesiastes 2:1-15, NLT)  At the end of himself, he found God. His counsel? "Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil." (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14, NIV)

We are taught to make sense of life with purely natural things - pleasure, money, technology, systems, education, and the science of our material world.  I’d be the fool if I suggested that those things did not provide a better life. I love climate-controlled homes, antibiotics that heal my body, and technology that connects me to the world.  But, the wisdom of the material world will always fall far short of providing a life with meaning! In the quiet, when we are alone, when we ponder what it all means – the only lasting answers are found in the love of God, a choice of faith in the One who says that His “ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.”  (Isaiah 55:9)

Please do not read that short line as a simple answer to life’s complexity!  Faith is not an easy choice.

Those who would be wise must pursue the Holy One, give themselves to prayer and thought, and live with patient endurance.  But, in God, we will find the ultimate answers that provide us with an unchanging anchor point for living well as well as the gift of Wisdom that stands above all the ways of humanity. When we are ready to be guided by His hand, we find the faith to know that God accomplishes His eternal purposes.

Are you confused by the noisy opinions of the world around you?
Are you exhausted by insistence of others that they alone, in their view, are right?
Choose the way of the humble.
Go sit with God, focused on Christ Jesus, and breath the Presence of the Spirit.

Invite Him to be the Lord Jesus Christ – the One above all others – Master of every thought, every choice.

The word from the Word reminds us of the folly of godless ‘wisdom.’
“The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good. The LORD looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God."
(Psalm 14:1-2, NIV)   As He looks today, may He find you and me seeking Him in true humility and we will find wisdom!

_____________________

Be Thou My Vision

Be Thou my vision
O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me
Save that Thou art
Thou my best thought
By day or by night
Waking or sleeping
Thy presence my light
 

Be Thou my wisdom
and Thou my true Word
I ever with Thee
And Thou with me Lord
Thou my great Father
I Thy true son
Thou in me dwelling
And I with Thee one

Riches I heed not
Nor man's empty praise
Thou mine inheritance
Now and always
Thou and Thou only
Be first in my heart
High King of heaven
My treasure Thou art
 

High King of heaven
When vict'ry is won
May I reach heaven's joys
O bright heaven's Sun
Heart of my own heart
Whatever befall
Still be my vision
O Ruler of all

 

Eleanor Henrietta Hull | Mary Elizabeth Byrne

© Words: Public Domain

 

No comments: