Thursday, August 05, 2021

Trustworthy

 

Americans are unsure about how to respond to COVID. Wear a mask or don’t?  Open up our schools or limit exposure?  Is the “Delta variant” a real issue or not?  Guidance provided by government agencies has been confusing at best, often contradictory.  The political implications attached to closures, masking, and vaccines seem to shape the directives given to us as much as the facts. Sensing this, the majority of us no longer trust those who are supposed to leading us to health and safety.  
t
Working societies where people are creating good outcomes must have a foundation of trust.  "Norms and institutions that create predictability and confidence and trust... propel innovation. Without trust there is no risk-taking, and without risk-taking there is no innovation. . . if you want to get more people to take the necessary risk to innovate, just put more trust in the room. ... Having an abundance of trust is essential in the world of collaboration because the more that people trust each other, the more likely it is that they are going to work well together." -Dov Seidman (as quoted in The World is Flat, Thomas L. Friedman)

Trust is created over time by people with integrity and it is fragile, evaporating in a moment. Trust is broken by actions that are self-centered. Trust is shattered by dishonesty. Trust is lost when it becomes known that there is manipulation and/or self-interest.  Recently, I had a conversation with a person in a position of authority only to reach the conclusion within an hour that I could not reasonably trust him, not because he was a terrible person, but because he clearly had an agenda in mind to advance his own interests, more than those of others.  As a result, my words became more guarded.

Christian, our relationships in the Body of Christ need a foundation of trust. That is only possible if we take to heart the command of Christ to love; deeply! "Love does no wrong to anyone, so love satisfies all of God’s requirements." (Romans 13:10, NLT)  What might we accomplish in the cause of Christ if we trusted each other and encouraged each other to accept gifts of the Spirit? How would we be free to offer ourselves in service,  to discover the best ways minister in His name, if we lived with solid trust that others would not ‘use’ us or abuse us?   

Trust extends up and down the line of spiritual authority. As a Pastor I cannot fulfill my calling to shepherd God’s people if they do not trust me. Conversely, they will not trust me if I fail to demonstrate devotion, maturity, and an unselfish heart. Just imagine the possibilities created where the first question asked is - "how can we help that person feel secure in our love so that they can pursue the will and purpose of God fearlessly?"

Are you trustworthy? 
Do you do what you say you will do, when you say you will do it?
Do you aim to serve or be served, encouraging others?  I hope you will join me in prayerfully asking those questions.  

 There is a security we can know that frees us to be more trusting, not out of some naïve expectation that everyone is ‘nice;’ they are not; but because God is faithful, unchanging, and filled with great love for us. Paul prayed, as do I, "that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." (Ephesians 3:17-19, NIV)  Trust Him. And, from that place of trust, serve, give, love – overflowing with His good grace.

Here is a word from the Word. I pray that it strengthens your trust God today. "Do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord, no matter what happens. Remember the great reward it brings you! Patient endurance is what you need now, so you will continue to do God’s will. Then you will receive all that he has promised. “For in just a little while, the Coming One will come and not delay. And a righteous person will live by faith. But I will have no pleasure in anyone who turns away.” But we are not like those who turn their backs on God and seal their fate. We have faith that assures our salvation." (Hebrews 10:35-39, NLT)

Friend, God loves you and desires that you love and trust Him in return! Secure in Him, we can live open lives, full of generosity, knowing that He will not fail, will not forget.  Someday He will welcome to a rich reward for faithfulness with open arms and the words – “Well done, good and faithful servant."

_______________

Goodness Of God

(Take a few minutes and make this your worshipful confession)

I love You Lord
Oh Your mercy never fails me
All my days
I've been held in Your hands
From the moment that I wake up
Until I lay my head
I will sing of the goodness of God

All my life You have been faithful
All my life You have been so so good
With every breath that I am able
I will sing of the goodness of God

I love Your voice
You have led me through the fire
In darkest night
You are close like no other
I've known You as a father
I've known You as a friend
I have lived in the goodness of God

Your goodness is running after
It’s running after me
Your goodness is running after
It’s running after me
With my life laid down
I’m surrendered now
I give You everything
Your goodness is running after
It's running after me

 Ben Fielding | Brian Johnson | Ed Cash | Jason Ingram | Jenn Johnson

© 2018 Capitol CMG Paragon (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

SHOUT! Music Publishing Australia (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

Fellow Ships Music (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)

So Essential Tunes (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)

CCLI License # 810055

 

No comments: